Chapter 71

The new year came quickly, the year 1997 was over everyone hoped for 1998 to be a much better year. Charlie had planned to take Jessica out for her birthday after the Jarvey's returned to inform them that Mr Harper was indeed alright and well. Jessica's grandparents offered to take care of the children, while he treated their granddaughter to a birthday dinner.

Jessica dressed up for the first time for herself, it had been so long since she wore something for herself. Everything had been for formal events, she couldn't wait for Charlie to see her, she even took the time to curl her hair into loose waves.

"Are you ready?" Charlie asked, he looked her up and down

"What is it? Do I look alright?" she asked, looking at her clothes

"Yes, beautiful in fact,"

"Oh stop it," she hid her face behind her hands, Charlie held her hands

"You always look beautiful, all you need to do is smile," he said,

"Alright Mr Flatterer let's go," she took his hand they left

Jessica knew they were going out for dinner though she had no idea where they were going. While Charlie had asked her Grandparents for a recommendation, she recognised the street they were on, she creased her brows wondering how he knew of the restaurant he was guiding her towards it wasn't known to many.

A waiter showed them to their table, Jessica looked around smiling to herself, she was curious to know if Charlie knew the significance of the place he chose. He glanced from the menu, while Jessica took a look around, nothing had changed.

The walls, were still painted red the table and chairs were white with black placemats, she knew exactly what she was getting to eat. A nice steak meal, she smiled as Charlie fully examined the menu, she settled her menu down causing him to make a decision.

"I think I'm going to have steak,"

"Me too," she said, "did you ask my grandmother about this place?"

"Yeah, have you already been?" he asked

"Never for dinner, this where my dad took my mum on their first date," she told him

"Should be very nice for you to be here," Charlie smiled at her.

Jessica and Charlie enjoyed the time they spent together, they were deserved it. Just for a moment, everything was forgotten, Charlie's family weren't a second thought in his mind as weren't Jessica's father. Even their children didn't cross their minds tonight.

Charlie took Jessica for a walk around the town, he could see how happy she was being back here. He was certain that they and their children were the only wizards in the town, and he could see Jessica preferred that living around muggles comforted as she knew what to expect from them. No surprises. Or strange creatures.

"What was your favourite thing to do here?" he asked

"There isn't much to do this time of year, but the summers are great there's always a summer fair, just the winter one, they're always so much fun,"

"I like your grandparents, we should come and see them more," he suggested

"I'd love that, they're getting old now, I should spend more time with them,"

"They aren't old they're only in their mid-70s," he stated

"Yeah, that's old for Muggles," he shook his head in disbelief

"Really, my mum grandmother, lived to 135 years old and that's average," he said, Jessica nodded knowing that she would live to see her grandchildren and her great-grandchildren too.

"Yeah, we may look the same, but there's a big difference in physiology, I studied it a little, after I graduated,"

"Did you want to be a healer?" Charlie asked,

"My charm work wasn't the best, and I wouldn't want to anymore,"

"Why not?" he asked

"I love the life I have now, with you, the children, River and the animals," he smiled at her leaning down to kiss her.

As they returned to the house, her grandparents had settled the little ones down for the night, then took themselves to bed. Jessica sat on the sofa laying her head back, Charlie sat next to her, rest his hand on her knee, she smiled turning her head to him.

"Happy birthday, my love," she chuckled, planting a kiss on his lips, she snuggled closer to him, wrapping her arms around his waist.

"By the time my mum was 25 she was pregnant with Percy,"

"It not a contest," she told him

"No it isn't, though I'd like a little brother for Archie," he said, she eyed him

"I'd be open to another after the girls are older, I'm talking like when they're five or six,"

"Really that long?"

"Yeah, I don't know how your mum handled so many children, the same way I don't know how Aimee Black manages and she had her nephews and niece too, they're super mums. I'm not a super mum, think about it, if the girls were five Archie would be seven,"

"Yeah, they'd be a lot more independent,"

"Exactly, they wouldn't need our help with everything as much, I'd feel more confident look after them while you were on long trips,

"That does sound a lot better," he said, placing a delicate kiss on her lips, "I preferable wouldn't want another one till it's safer,"

Charlie on the sofa, allowing Jessica to lay beside him, with his arms wrapped tightly around her, he didn't realise how much quieter it had been isolating themselves from the wizarding world. Charlie knew they would have to return soon to protect those that they loved.