Chapter 36

Two months had passed by, Charlie still hadn't manage to get the Wampus cubs a suitable surrogate mother. Which unfortunately meant he had to bottle feed the cubs himself. Jessica was exhausted while Charlie had been dealing with the Wampus cubs, she had to tend to Archie by herself.

Jessica took Archie to the nursery pen, where all the baby animals were kept. Archie smiled he saw his father, Charlie smiled at him, and Jessica. He hurried out of the pen, so the cubs didn't escape as the gate opened, he clapped his hands for Archie, Jessica handed Archie to him.

"How are the cubs doing?" Jessica asked

"My attempts at weening them on to meat is not going well," Charlie said

"You'll get there, is there anything I can do to help?" Jessica asked, Charlie shook his head then he had an idea.

"Yeah, there is something you can do, when Archie due for his nap?" he asked

"About an hour, I just have to feed him first,"

"Alright, I'll come back with you then, when he's asleep you can help me with the cubs," he told her, Jessica smiled at him, she went to take Archie back

"It's alright I've got him," Charlie said, knowing how little time he had spent with Archie while tending to the Wampus cubs.

Once Charlie and Jessica arrived back in the house, Jessica went into the kitchen to heat up Archie's milk. She tested the temperature of the milk on her arm. Giving Charlie the bottle for him to feed Archie, Jessica smiled as she watched Charlie with Archie.

"So how do you think I can help?" Jessica asked

"Well, I think the reason the cubs are being really resistant to me, is because I'm not a female so I was hoping you could try to feed them," Charlie said, Jessica remained silent, nodding her head at him.

"Do you not know anything about me?" she asked folding her arms over her chest.

"I'll be there the whole time, I promise," Charlie assured her.

"Alright, I'll try, but you know I'm not confident-

"I know," he said, he held her hand, giving it a little squeeze, she slumped down next to him, resting her head on his shoulder.

Once Archie was settled and ready for his nap, Jessica rocked him to sleep, laying him down in his crib. Mrs Winters offered to keep a close eye on him while Jessica accompanied Charlie to the nursing pen. Jessica took a deep breath she knew nothing about Wampus cats. As they approached the nursing pen, Jessica's palms became sweaty, she held Charlie's arm, he handed her a small potion bottle instructing her to drink it.

"What exactly do you want me to do?" Jessica asked, drinking the potion

"Just sit on the tree stump, I'll let them out so they can sniff you," Jessica nodded

"Don't worry you're going to be alright," Charlie said, giving her hand a little squeeze,

Jessica walked in with Charlie sitting down on the stump as he told her to, he walked over to a small door. Sliding it open two cubs tumbled out playing together, they didn't seem too dangerous. Jessica was more concerned about their six legs.

Charlie shook their bottle which caught their attention, they jumped up at him. Charlie settled the bottles down on the floor next to Jessica. Both cubs cautiously walked up to Jessica sniffing her feet and legs, one of them rolled on their backs, waving its four front paws at her.

"You're doing great," Charlie said, Jessica nodded "now reach down your hand but don't touch them,"

"What?"

"Trust me, you'll be alright," he said,

Jessica listened, reaching her hand slowly down she didn't touch them, one of the cubs lifted its head nuzzling into the palm of her hand. Charlie told her she was alright to lift the cub up now, Jessica lifted the smallest cub onto her lap like she had done with River many times. She took a bottle and immediately the cub began to feed.

"Incredible they really are a maternal animal," Charlie said, see how easy it was for Jessica to feed them.

"How long does it usually take you?" Jessica asked,

"Watch," he said, lifting the other cub, that clawed and squealed at him, no matter how hard Charlie tried to get the cub to drink from the bottle she constantly moved her head away, Charlie placed her down the cub ran behind the stump.

"You know they both need a name," Charlie said, Jessica looked at the cub in her arms

"This one is Meg," she then looked at the one on the floor, by her feet "and this one is Abi,"

"Meg and Abi, I like it," Charlie said, "it would be great if you could come and do this twice a day, I'll have Archie for a little bit,"

"I'd be feeding them alone?" She questioned

"Not if you don't want to, I'm sure Mrs Winters doesn't mind watching Archie for a little while,"

Jessica nodded if her dad could see her now, feeding Wampus cubs. Jessica couldn't believe she was feeding them either, they seemed a lot less dangerous than one of the older ones she had encountered before. Pouncing at the fence scaring Jessica. Meg and Abi were just babies still.