working

The bell rang when I walked into the bakery. I was confused because there was a closed sign on the door. But I soon realised it was there because my parents weren't.

After a while you tend to get used to the scent of baking breads and pastries. It clings to your clothes and the aroma leeches from every part of the house. I hummed quietly whilst turning the light on. A note sat on the countertop.

Gone to get supplies, man the till until we get back.

Lots of love Mum and Dad.

I turned the note in my hand. They didn't know then. It was relieving but also a bit worrying that they don't know. I was going to have to tell them myself.

I sighed once again and moved to sit behind the till, pulling out my phone and playing some idle game to pass the time. No one would come to the bakery in this weather.

I swiftly realised I was still sopping wet when Tikki flew out of my purse.

"Marinette, you need to get changed otherwise you will catch a cold!" She flew up to my cheek and rested her head against mine.

"Okay Tikki. It doesn't look like we are going to have any customers anyway. Besides, it's almost closing time and I have homework I need to do." I stood up and was about the move to put the closed sign back on the door when the bell rang.

In stepped perhaps the last person I wanted to see right now, rain dripping off of him and making a puddle on the floor.

"Hey Marinette! I'm sorry, I know you are about to close but Kagami loves your croissants-"

"Sure Adrien. Just a second." I was mad that he was here. Mad that he was here buying my family's croissants for Kagami. But still, I couldn't hate her or him. I could only hate myself.

I grabbed two croissants and placed them in a bag and then grabbed a couple small shortbread biscuits whilst Adrien wasn't looking. He should be happy. I picked the brown bag up by the corners and span it to seal the bag and placed the bag on the counter in front of me.

"That'll be €2 please."

"Here Marinette," Adrien handed me the money, took the bag and went to leave before turning round again, "we miss hanging out with you by the way. All of us, even Kagami. I thought after you guys worked together for the friend competition that you would be better friends. I can tell something is going on with you and I don't want to pry but, you are one of my best friends and if you ever need anything or to talk to anyone, I'm right here."

Adrien left and I watched through the rain stained windows as his car's lights swung round in the night and drove off. I hung the sign on the door and stared into the darkness. Due to all the lights in Paris, you couldn't see the stars.

I trudged upstairs, my mind conflicted. Adrien is happy with Kagami. I should respect that. His happiness is more important than mine. But then again, I tried so hard. If I weren't so scared of being rejected, I could be in Kagami's place. Luka didn't help the situation but he might have been able to help right now. I missed him so much.

I changed into a hoodie and some leggings and sat down at my desk. I would do tonight's homework first I thought, locating my history book in the pile of papers on my desk.

I worked for an hour, with no sound from Tikki nor from downstairs. In fact, I was quite prepared to continue working in silence until much later in the night when I heard a loud crash and screaming from outside.

Clambering up my ladder and onto my bed, I pushed open the trapdoor to my balcony and peeked out. In the distance I could hear the sound of car horns and an evil, maniacal laugh. Just as I was about to go back inside and transform I spotted a sillouette leaping between the buildings. Chat Noir.

"Tikki, spots on!"