right back where we started

Chat Noir's pov

I stopped suddenly, as did the world around me for but a second. What was Marinette talking about? She, she was insinuating that she had met an akumatised Chat Noir but that was impossible. Right? That had to be impossible.

"That's not possible." Gladious repeated my words verbally.

"It is. It happened. And he was hurt. Because that's all you villains do. Hurt people. But no more. Lila, you don't have to do this. Let me go. Don't make Chat Blanc come back."

I watched as Lila seemed to have some kind of inner turmoil before seemingly coming to some kind of resolution. Marinette cried out in pain.

"I want this world to burn." Lila spat, eyes glowing.

"Well, seems like we tried but our reasonings just didn't stick." I joked, jumping out of the shadows and throwing myself as the ever growing body that was Lila or Gladious or whatever she called herself.

"Look what the cat dragged in. Ready to meet Hawkmoth kitty?" The thing asked before turning to do something to Marinette.

"No-" I started but stopped when I stared at the bare side of the Eiffel tower, no Marinette in sight.

"WHAT? WHERE DID YOU GO, YOU BRAT?!" Gladious screamed, flinging its head side to side trying to catch a glimpse of Marinette.

"Oh, it looks like I arrived just in the nick of slime. Ready to kick some villain but kitty?"

I turned to see Ladybug stood beneath one of the arcs of the Eiffel tower, the light from the purplish body of Gladious and the crimson butterflies casting her in a grim glow.

"I'm feline pretty up to the task M'lady. Shall we begin?" I ran over to her side to stare at the strange pile of gunk on front of us.

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng was right here M'lady, I don't know where she went though."

"She's safe, don't worry about it. How do you think she got out?" Ladybug replied giving me a wink and I grinned at her.

"Always saving everyone aren't you? Want to leave someone for me or-"

"Not now kitty." She said with a grim laugh before turning her attention to Lila who was going into some strange fit of rage in front of us.

"Hawkmoth's original plan was to kill Marinette, causing everyone who knows her  - including me - to probably become akumatised. I don't know what he's going to do with all those butterflies now he has no instigator for negative emotions."

"We can worry about that later, for now we need to de-akumatise Gladious."

Ladybug flung herself into battle but I paused for just a second. How did she know that was Lila's villain name? She wasn't here then, right? Or maybe she was?

Marinette's pov

Getting out of Lila's grasp had been actually surprisingly easy after Chat had distracted her. I just sort of wiggled out of her loose grip. After transforming I just had to run around the side to make it look like I had just arrived. That was easy enough in my head. Until I moved and felt a definite broken rib. Crap.

I ran forward, away from Chat and began to search for the object with the akuma in. Gladious was throwing out attacks left and right, the thick tar not only being sticky but surprisingly hot that sometimes it burned. I twisted to the left as she slapped a tentacle of slime onto the ground where I had been stood. The concrete smashed to pieces, debris flying up and I heard Chat coughing behind me.