learning

Marinette's pov

The library was quiet, the only person visible, Nathaniel, gave me a small wave as I walked in before going back to his drawing. I looked over his shoulder as I walked past to see him drawing a picture of Ladybug and Chat Noir. I smiled.

I moved to the shelves at the back of the room, where the volumes were thick, leather bound and old; mostly classics. I ran my fingers gently over the spines. The school was rich enough to have an extensive collection of classic literature, some being first editions. I didn't get much time to read but I felt in the mood and so pulled a book randomly off the shelf and moved to find a seat around the corner.

Only to bump straight into Adrien.

"Oh! I'm sorry!" I squealed and I helped him pick up the papers he had dropped.

"That's okay Marinette." He laughed lightly before abruptly stopping when we both reached for the same piece of paper and our hands touched.

He pulled away very quickly.

"Hey, are you Adrien okay? I mean, are you okay Adrien?"

He smiled sadly and picked up the book I had dropped.

"Yes Marinette, I am fine. I broke up with Kagami earlier, that's all. I feel bad."

"Oh," I said gently as I reached to place my hand in his shoulder but stopped as I remembered what I had told Chat. Just friends, "don't be sad about it Adrien, it was the best thing to do. Besides, you said there was another girl right?"

"I don't think she likes me like I like her Marinette... At least not anymore. There's someone else for her." He was smiling still despite his heart breaking confession.

"You are smiling?"

"I want her to be happy and if this guy can make her happy, then I'll let them be."

"But Adrien, if you love her why would you let her go?"

"Because she has never smiled around me the way she smiles around him. She has never leant against me the way she does with him. She has never looked at me the way she looks at him. He makes her so unbelievably happy. I only want what is best for her."

"I get what you mean. I felt the same recently about one of my friends."

"One of your friends?" He looked at me inquisitively.

"YOU DONT KNOW HIM! I mean, aha, he doesn't go to this school." I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly.

"Right."

I turned the book in my hand awkwardly but there was something wrong. I strange feeling running up my spine. It didn't feel good.

"Marinette? Hey, you don't look so good. Sit down."

He reached to guide me to the seat near us but the second he touched my back, the sensation got worst. Like he was pressing alcohol to an open wound. I flinched away, hissing as the pain spread to my neck.

"Marinette? MARINETTE!" Adrien grabbed my as I fell, black dots clouding my vision.

I couldn't see, I couldn't breathe. The pain was worst than it had been in the hospital. It was hostile and violent. I could hear someone screaming but it sounded far away, in a different world. It took me a while to realise it was me. I tried to part my eyelids but they felt glued shut. I fumbled around for Adrien, crying out at the movement.

"ADRIEN! Don't leave me- please don't leave me!" I coughed after speaking and felt my arms beginning to twitch in his hold.

"I won't leave you Marinette, I promise." He said gently into my ear and he was holding me closer.

Somewhere, through the cries and the pain I could hear something steady and rhythmic. His heartbeat. He was stroking my hair and telling me things were going to be okay.

I was uncontrollably shaking, the pain which had rendered me immobile becoming a dull aching pain over every inch of my body. It wasn't much better.

"My- my bag A-adrien."

I felt his grip on me loosen as he reached for my bag which had been flung into the bookcase beside me as I had fallen.

"What do you need?"

"Water bottle." I had moved the strange medicine Chat had given to me into an unsuspecting metal drink bottle.

"Here." Adrien handed me the bottle and I stood a sip of the thick medicine and tried to stop myself gagging. Still didn't taste good.

I felt my heart rate slowing considerately after only just a couple minutes.

"Marinette?"

"I'm okay Adrien just, the medicine makes me sleepy." I mumbled, still gripping him like a lifeline.

"Does anything still hurt?"

"Everything." I murmured incoherently as I felt my mind beginning to melt. Ugh, I was so tired.

Adrien's pov

One second she was there speaking in a quiet hoarse whisper, her body still shaking but less than before and the next she was gone, slightly twitching in my arms, passed out. I pulled her closer to my chest and looked around. Nathaniel was stood at an opening in the book cases, biting his nails.

"Is she okay?"

"She's sleeping. I'm going to take her to the nurses' office, can you tell Ms Bustier what happened?" I said to Nathaniel as I lifted Marinette into my arms. I had already done this once this week, doing it twice unnerved me.

"Sure Adrien." He ran out the room and I followed slowly, not wanting to jostle Marinette too much. I had no idea what was in that bottle but it had knocked her out instantly. It seemed similar to the stuff Master Fu had given ladybug but it was probably some expensive medical treatment Marinette had. I had made sure to screw the lid on tight.

The nurses' office wasn't too far down the hall and she told me that she would look after Marinette. I didn't want to leave her but I remembered what I had told her. That the girl I liked didn't like me back the same way. I sighed and pulled out my phone. I never thought I would be doing this.

"Hello?"

"Hey Luka."

"Oh, Adrien. What do you want?"

"Marinette's had one of her attacks. She's in the infirmary and has taken some meds from the doctor's but I thought I should let you know."

"Oh..." There was silence on the other end of the line for a second and then Luka cleared his throat, "thanks for letting me know Adrien. Will she be okay?"

"I think so. I can get you in at break if you want to see her but I don't know if she will be awake by then."

"Thanks Adrien... It's nice to know you haven't completely abandoned Marinette in your girl hunting quest."

His final remark was made right before he hung up. Girl hunting quest? What was he in about? Kagami?

I shook my head and out my phone back in my pocket before trudging back down the hall. Marinette is just a friend. Marinette is just a friend. Marinette is just a friend.

I can't afford to think anything different. Not when Luka makes her smile like that.

Authors pov:

Little did Adrien know, Marinette smiled at him like that frequently, but it was only when his head was turned the other way.

Hope you enjoyed ♡(˃͈ દ ˂͈ ༶ )