the cat

Marinette's pov

I packed the last few photos into the shoe box and stuffed it in a drawer. All there was left on my bedroom walls were photos of all of us, the whole class and then just our friend group. I smiled. I felt... Some what better. But my heart still hurt.

I turned towards my desk and pulled out my designs book. I needed to do something to take my mind off of him. Both of them actually. I picked up a pencil and sat. And I thought. I couldn't think of any designs. I groaned and banged my head on my desk. I was startled when I heard a knocking from my trap door.

I got up and cautiously opened it. A pair of luminous green eyes glowed in the late afternoon.

"Oh! Hello Chat Noir. Umm... What's up?"

"Hi princess," he held out his clawed hands and gently cupped my face, pulling me slightly into the rain in the process, "have you been crying?"

I removed his hands from my face and smiled at him. A drop of rain trickled down my nose.

"No I haven't Chat Noir. Can I help you at all?"

"You have, I can tell. Always can. May I come in for a bit?"

I was about to refuse when I thought about it. Chat was my friend, whether he knew it or not. And maybe I needed a friend right now.

"Sure Chat." I gave him a small smile and pushed the trap door all the way open and climbed back down the ladder.

I watched as he dropped into the room and looked around.

"It looks... Different in here?"

"I took some decorations down. Why are you really here Chat? Did Adrien put you up to this? Because I really don't want to talk to him right now." I said with a stale laugh and watched as Chat's eyes widened.

"No he didn't we haven't... Talked for a while. What did he do?"

Chat walked over and grabbed my hands.

"I- I don't want to talk about it."

"I'm here, princess, because I saw you crying when you left the airport and I wanted to make sure you were okay." He gripped my hands slightly harder and I looked up and met his eyes.

"Do you want to play some video games?" I asked, panicking because this is my partner Chat Noir and yet he hadn't made one chat pun or flirted. He was being kind and sweet and caring.

"Video games?"

"Yeah, please." I could feel my eyes tearing up.

"Oh, yeah of course. I'll just grab a chair." He wondered over to the other side of the room and dragged a spare chair over and out it next to mine by the computer.

"What games do you have?" He asked as he sat down on the chair, and began to open a drawer in the desk.

"DONT OPEN THAT!" I shouted and ran over, placing my hands over his and pushing the drawer back shut.

I heard Chat make a noise of surprise that sounded a lot like a squeak and watched as he pulled his hands away from the drawer.

"SORRY! I thought they might be in there. Oh gosh Mari, I'm sorry."

I looked at him and could feel my face heating up. He had called me Mari. I always took him calling me princess as teasing but he calling me Mari.

"I-it's no problem. They are in the drawer below, see!" I pulled the drawer below it open and started rifling through the video games in there, sticking my head stifly over the drawer to hide my face.

"Okay."

I searched for a while until I found one I liked.

"How about ultimate mecha strike iii?" I asked, pulling out the game and turning to see Chat sat very politely on the chair. "You look like your in school."

"Wha-? Hey! This is how I sit."

"Well, it's weirdly cute." I muttered absentmindedly before realising what I had said and slapping my hand over my mouth.

"Did- did you just call me cute?" Chat asked and he looked really shocked, his face bright red.

"No. Now shut up and load up the game." I shoved the disc onto his lap before getting up and running to the other side of the room.

"Calm down Marinette, this is fine, you are fine. TIKKI HELP ME I AM NOT FINE." I whispered to myself in the corner.

"What's the problem Marinette? I think this is going great!"

"I called him 'cute' Tikki. CUTE?! What is wrong with me?"

"Maybe, with Adrien and Luka out the way, you are realising your feelings for Chat Noir."

"I do not like Chat Noir..." I said with a laugh before thinking about it. "Wait Tikki, what if I do like Chat Noir?"

"Don't panic and stay cool Marinette, you will be fine."

"Hey, you know only super smart people or crazy people talk to themselves?" Chat called over, spinning on his chair. "What are you doing anyway, the game has loaded?"

"Aha, nothing, I was just... Asking my Google assistant the weather."

"It's raining." Chat said plainly as he gestured towards the controller on my desk.

"Rightttt." I said and I sat down next to him and focused on the screen.

"You're good at this, aren't you?" Chat asked as he worked his way through the welcome screen.

"Wait, how did you know that?"

"You did the Ultimate Mecha Strike iii tournament with that Max kid not too long ago right?"

"Oh, yes, I did. You saw that?"

"Yeah, I love the game. I was going to take part in the tournament in my civilian form too you know." He revealed as he started the game.

"Really? Why didn't you?"

"Someone. Umm was better. Than me." He said between trying to fend off my attacks. "You've gotten better."

"What was that?" I asked because I hadn't heard the last part of his sentence.

"Oh, nothing, I was just saying that they didn't downplay how good you are OMG STAY AWAY." He began to shout as he slammed the controller trying not to die.

"Shhh!" I said with a laugh as he almost dropped the remote, "my parents are downstairs and I don't think they will ever shut up if they find Chat Noir in my bedroom playing video games."

"Sorry princess." He said and looked at me whilst playing. "You're amazing you know."

At that, I miss clicked and my character died. I stared at the screen, the words lose hanging above my character. Chat had beat me.