glowing

Marinette's pov

I lay in the hospital bed, hating the sterile smell of the building and the constant talking just out of my hearing range.

Mum was talking to a police officer who's eyes kept sliding to me and catching mine before he looked away. Dad was talking to the doctor, who was pointing at something on a tablet and gesturing in my general direction. Everyone was talking about me but I had no idea what they were saying.

"Marinette," the police officer said as he walked up to me, "it is to our belief, as you have lost your memory, that you were akumatised when you went missing. You had strong negative emotions right before you went missing, other than a few scrapes and bumps, you are physically well and you can't remember what happened. All evidence points to the fact you were akumatised."

The police officer spun on his heels and stalked out of the room.

The doctor came next, walking up to me. He had salt and pepper hair, scraped back with thick gel and thin glasses that made his eyes look small. He too was thin, his uniform too large on him. He smiled kindly before speaking up.

"Marinette, we believe that the fall you had during the akuma fight is what caused you to lose your memory however, given the fact you didn't mention where you were when you were missing before the fight, we believe that being akumatised also wiped your memory." He stated, reading steadily from his tablet.

"Is there anything else wrong with me?" I asked shifting around on the uncomfortable bed.

"Not that we can see on any of the tests or scans we have done but we want to keep you in over night just to be safe." He smiled at me, his lips curving lopsidedly.

I nodded and turned to look at my phone. Alya had been trying to call me ever since I woke up but the doctor told me I wasn't allowed to answer on the ward. I also had a notification about the akuma fight I had been involved in which I was waiting to watch once everyone had left.

"Marinette, do you want us to stay the night here?" Mum asked, a worried but also tired look on her face.

"No, you two go home and catch up on all the sleep you have lost worrying and trying to find me. I'll be fine here and I have my little emergency button if anything goes wrong." I picked up the small device with the button on which attached to the machines behind me and dangled it around making mum laugh.

"Okay, we will be back in the morning." I watched as they left and I was all by myself. Adrien had left a couple hours ago because Nathalie called him to return home. I frowned at thinking of him and forced myself not to and focus on the video I was about to watch.

I clicked on it, plugged in my headphones and sat back and waited for it to load. There were only two other people near me and both were fast asleep. I looked at the clock and saw it was 11 pm. The video finally loaded.

I watched as what I recognised to be our car was parked in the middle of the road and what I assumed to be Kagami/Riposte stood ten metres from it. The video was amateur footage, obviously someone had seen the akuma and pulled their phone out to film it. It was blurry but I could still understand what was going on.

I watched, intrigued as our car began to reverse and turn but Riposte extended her arm sword and sliced straight into the side of the car. The car turned sharply and started to accelerate away but in doing so I fell out. Well that was bound to happen at some point, I thought as I watched myself stand up, we really needed to fix that car door.

There was a flash of silver and I saw that Riposte had her sword placed at my neck. Instinctively, I raised my hand to touch my neck and felt a graze where in the video the sword had been.