fire

Marinette's pov

I ran slowly in the direction Chat had gone, my body protesting the movement. Why was this stupid infection affecting me so much? It had been over a week since the fight and with my speedy recovery thanks to the ladybug that was still in my arm, I should be better than ever. Yet, the attacks still came and the strange symptoms I had had this morning couldn't be ignored despite what I told Tikki. I rubbed my forehead and continued running. I had to be sure to take short, shallow breaths otherwise breathing would hurt too much.

Chat was stood on the edge of the building, prowling. His eyes scanned the horizon almost menacingly, watching. I walked up next to him and tried to control my breathing as the running and not quite being able to breathe properly had made me breathless.

"Out of breath M'lady?" Chat questioned, not looking at me as he focused on the city in front of us.

"Just... Umm... Haven't done a proper lot of exercise since the whole... Incident." I smiled awkwardly and rubbed the back of my neck. "So, what's the problem? An akuma?"

"Well, i- my friend... Er, my friend Adrien was almost akumatised earlier but luckily he wasn't however; this means that there is a fully charged loose akuma somewhere."

"Is Adrien okay?" I questioned and watched as Chat turned to look at me oddly.

"You a fan?"

"I'm a frien-" I stopped short. Chat could work out who I was if I told him too much about me. "Yeah, a fan."

I expected to see chat smirking but he just sort of nodded and continued scanning the horizon. "He is fine M'lady. A little shook up but, he'll be okay."

I frowned and made a mental reminder to check up on him. Despite me trying to move on, he was still my friend and no one deserves to feel sad enough to be akumatised.

"Did he see where is went?"

"Nope, he said it just flew out the window. It could be anywhere."

"I guess we just wait for the screaming?"

Chat shrugged and we decided to take our patrol routes to try and spot where the akuma had gone. My feet pounded on the tiled roofs. Has it really been only this morning I did the same thing.

The effects of the medicine Master Fu had given me had almost completely worn off and the aching had settled back into my bones. I attempted to stretch my shoulders as I ran but they continued to sit awkwardly somehow. Just as I was stopping to catch my breath so my breathing wouldn't become too hard and hurt, my yo-yo started beeping.

"M'lady you need to come to the Françoise Dupont High School right now!"

"Chat? Why? what's going on?" I spun on my heels and started running in the opposite direction, ignoring my aching joints. I heard some coughing on the other end of the line before Chat spoke again.

"An akuma has set it on fire, the school is burning down and I need help getting people out. How far away are you?"

Off in the distance, I could see plumes of smoke rising into the air. The cloud loomed above the school menacingly and in the winter gloom, the area seemed to glow ethereally.

"A couple minutes away, get everyone out of the top floors first."

I quickly hung up and somehow sped up even more.

When I got to the school, a crowd of teachers, students and news reporters circled the front of school as flames licked the door way menacingly. I watched as chat stumbled out with two people's arms wrapped around his shoulders. He passed them over to a few adults and checked them over. I landed smoothly and was about to head in with Chat when someone caught my arm.