breaking point

There is some mild language in this chapter but it's like once lol. Anyway enjoy!

Marinette's pov

I was awoken by the sound of my alarm going off and I reached over to turn it off before rolling back over and shutting my eyes. I heard a creaking noise from downstairs but I ignored it and tried to get back to the dream I had been having. What was it about again?

"MARINETTE DUPAIN-CHENG IF YOU DONT GET OUT OF BED RIGHT NOW YOU WILL MISS SCHOOL!"

I jumped and scrambled down my ladder.

"Hey mum," I looked around awkwardly and grabbed my clothes, "sup?"

"Get changed before I eat your breakfast." She said, shutting the trapdoor behind her. Damn she was scary when she was mad.

I changed, picked up and my bag and made sure I had everything I needed. I was very nervous. In fact, that was an understatement. I was petrified.

I forced myself to climb down the stairs to the kitchen, where a plate of croissants sat, still warm in the winter sun.

"It's good that it's not raining on my first day back." I said with a smile and bit into a croissant as mum tidied the kitchen a bit.

"Yes it is. Now remember Marinette. Don't push yourself. But do try to catch up with work and your grades."

"I will mum, I promise."

I kissed her good bye, for once not having to sprint to school. I enjoyed the short walk actually now that I wasn't hurtling down it as fast as I could so I wouldn't be late.

"Remember what I said Marinette, don't listen to anyone who tries to put you down. Lyla might even not be at school and Chloe, well you have years of experience dealing with her." Tikki said, poking her head out of my purse.

"Right! I am Marinette. I am also ladybug. I am strong and confident and oh my god is Adrien crying?" I got distracted from my train of thought when I looked across the road to see Adrien sat on the stairs to the school, head in hands.

I sped up my walking and ran across the road. I slowed as I approached. He looked really upset. It was unusual to see Adrien so down. I really didn't want to talk to him but I also couldn't risk letting him get akumatised and, well, part of me wanted to hug him and dry his tears and tell him everything was going to be okay.

I walked closer and tried to straighten my back before sitting down next to him. It was actually quite early for once so not too many people were around.

"Marinette?" Adrien asked shifting his head to the side a little to look at me.

"Hey," I said with a small awkward wave which I immediately regretted, "what's up? You look sad."

He sighed again and moved his hands behind him and looked upwards.

"You know when sometimes you just, feel down. There is no specific reason or maybe everything is a reason but you just feel sad and nothing you can do stops it?"

I thought back to yesterday when, after Chat's visit I hadn't felt happy though I had every reason to be.

"I think I understand what you are saying." I said softly. The wind picked up and reminded me of the season. Winter.

"Why don't we go inside Adrien. It's pretty cold out here." I suggested and got up and held my arm out to him.

He hesitated, looking at my hand and then to me and back again.

"It's okay, my shoulder is fine!" He must have been told that although physically I was fine, my shoulder had taken a little bit of strain and might hurt.