realising

Marinette's pov

How long I spent at Master Fu's I didn't know. Every time I came to my senses over and over again I would be attacked by the burning pain which ended up causing me to pass out again and again. Slowly they were beginning to ease but the word slowly was key. Days merged into one long stretch of waking and waiting to be in pain and eventually sleeping once again.

However, one day I woke up and although there was pain, there was no purple veins. Master Fu smiled at me and with held the herbal remedy he had already made and replaced it with a new one. One that didn't make me want to sleep.

It was strange to feel so awake.

"I think the worst of the infection is out of your system Marinette. You have healed very well." Master Fu smiled and left to put some things away in a separate room. Feeling suddenly renewed, I realised that there could have been an akuma attack at any time. I reached for the TV remote Master Fu had almost been guarding every time I previously woke up and flicked on the TV.

I turned to the news channel, in hopes that there was nothing about an akuma attack and was shocked to see my face. I threw off the blanket that was covering me and moved closer to the old TV. I was used to seeing pictures of me everywhere because I was Ladybug but this was different. This was a picture of me, as Marinette, on national news.

"Hello, Nadja Chamack here with the headlines at noon. Missing for four days, the search for Marinette Dupain-Cheng continues. Reports from the police say there has been no news yet. Her parents and police are asking that if anyone has seen Marinette either on the 8th of November or any day after to use the number below to contact them. Onto the rest of the news. Fashion designer Gabriel Agreste has launched his new line in Malibu-" I shut off the TV and stared at it for a while.

I was so stupid.

How did I not think that people would worry about me? I reached for my phone which I hadn't touched since the day of the akuma attack and turned it on. Sure enough I had hundreds of missed calls and voice messages from everyone under the sun. Unlisted numbers, mum, dad, Adrien, Alya, Nino and everyone else in class. I stood up quickly, my head dizzying and I knocked over a few things.

"Marinette," Master Fu called after hearing the noise, "are you okay?"

"Why didn't you tell me I was missing! My parents must be worried sick!" I fumbled around and tried to free my trapped foot from the blanket.

"Marinette, I could hardly return you infected with energy and with the injuries you had and a ladybug in your arm. People would find out your identity. Please calm down. You have been in and out of conscious for the past four days, what was I supposed to do?"

I stopped to think about what Master Fu had said. He was right, it would have been obvious from my injuries I was ladybug. I calmed down, knowing my anger could get me akumatised.

"I'm leaving." I said plainly as I pulled the blanket off of my foot.

"Marinette, you are still not well enough. Besides we do not have a cover story for you yet and-"

"Master Fu, right now I am a cover story. I'm all over the news! My parents are worried and scared and I don't want them to be. I'm going home."

I ignored his requests for me to stay because I was still healing and walked out, shutting the door behind me.

I was unsteady on my feet, having to use walls to guide me out of the house. I was by the Seine, I knew how to get home from here.

I stuck to the alleys and side streets, knowing that everyone in Paris will know my face. I was doing well, I thought, as I wondered through the rain. Had it even stopped raining? I wondered as my foot fell into an unusually deep puddle and my feet were soaked. I shouldn't have taken my shoes off before I transformed on Thursday, as my feet were soaked and cold and hurt from walking around Paris practically bare foot other than socks. I hadn't noticed as I had left and I wish I had, even Master Fu's shoes would be better than no shoes.

I sighed and continued going, there was no point turning back now that I am just over half way home. I was in an alley way, about ten metres from where it opened into a small side street when I felt a tingling creep up my spine and a burning sensation spreading from the base of my head. No! Not now! I'm so close to being home. I sped up my walking, but my legs were so out of use that I tripped and fell.

I was shaking all over the burning sensation now running down my back and into my legs. I cried out and tried to stand up again but it was no use. Panicking, I fumbled in my purse, pushing Tikki out the way and grabbed my phone. I clicked on the first person in my contacts, not even looking at the name. It rung twice before it was picked up.

"Marinette?! Is that you!? Are you there!?"

Adrien. It was Adrien. I had phoned Adrien of all people.

"Marinette?!"

"Help."

"Where are you? I'm at your bakery. Marinette can you tell me where you are?"

"A-alley, by..." I looked up by my vision was blurred from a mixture of rain, dizziness and tears.

"Ugh, can't see." I spoke into the phone.

"Marinette, send me a picture of where you are"

I nodded to myself and hissed as the burning sensation got worst and worst. My hands were shaking and I'm sure it was a horrible photo that probably wouldn't help at all but I sent it to Adrien anyway.

He phone me again a couple seconds later.

"Okay, I'm coming to get you."

"Mum, dad?"

"They aren't here right now, it's just me. They are all out looking for you."

I felt my my hands tremble more and more until I dropped my phone.

"No, no, no." I picked it up again but the mixture of rain and me trembling caused me to drop it again.

"M-marrronett-" the audio from the phone glitched before it shut off, succumbing to the water damage.

"Adrien..." I whispered.

I was shaking more but the pain was beginning to ease. The muscle spasms will come soon. Carefully, I crawled over to the edge of the alley, a lip on the building stopping the rain from falling from me but it was too late as I was already soaked. I would probably be dryer if I jumped into the Seine.

Somewhere, far off I could hear someone calling my name. But everything was so fuzzy and the rain was so loud. I moved closer to the wall and pulled my knees up to my chest. Please hurry Adrien.