Chapter 55

Chapter 55

~ Lexi's POV~

Staring at my family's graves was never an easy thing to do. It was one of the main reasons I left, I didn't have enough strength to come here. Just knowing their graves were here, but I didn't have enough strength to go to them was enough to push me over the edge, and back then I wasn't grounded enough to cope with that by myself.

"Lexi, we need your help," Lucie was standing behind me, a million expression dancing across her face.

"I can't help anyone like this, Luce," I said, my voice barely audible.

"That doesn't give you an excuse not to try," I hated how true here words were. Lucie always had been the more level headed one out of the two of us. It was probably why she was a Luna and I... wasn't.

"Lexi, you need to stop putting yourself down. You are an amazing girl. Not everyone can do what you do. In fact, you do what I did without being a Luna. Just think about that for a second. I had certain skills because I was destined to be who I am today. You, you developed these skills on your own. You're incredible. You should hear what the guys say about you back at the pack house when you aren't there. They admire you and they respect you. They call you the 'Leader of Rogues.' They don't even call Beau that. Just think about that for a second, Lex." Her words took my breath away. They spun around my head, echoing, making me listen to her words over and over again.

"That can't be true," I finally said. This couldn't be real. It just... there was just so much in my life that was going on I just... couldn't handle it. Sometimes I wish I were human so I could blame it on that. Go figure.

"Lexa you need to stop blaming everything on yourself,"

"What? What are you-," she gestured to the graves in front of her.

"Shut up, Lucie. You don't know what you're talking about," that was just something I couldn't deal with right now. She didn't need to bring my parents into this... she didn't need to bring Robyn into this.

"Someone has to, Lexi. We both know that you've been blaming yourself for their death since the day that it happened. It was why you never tried to escape that hell hole that I rescued you from when we first met. You thought you deserved the punishment they were bestowing on you. Well not anymore, Lexi. You are gonna march your butt of yours back to the Crimson Cove and you are going to drill your brother until he spills the beans on how he killed his wolf." Her words pulled at me, compelled me to follow. Yet there was still some part of me, a part of me that was afraid to believe the words that she was speaking. I couldn't accept her words as the truth, mainly because when it came right down to it, I didn't know Lucie the way I had until recently pretended to believe. She might have saved my life, but that doesn't mean I'm any closer to knowing her than a young girl would a firefighter who rescued them from a building in flames. I know that I had changed a lot since the last time that we had truly talked, since we had had a heart to heart. She had left the Hunters. I had found Beau. I turned away, unable to admit to her the revaluation that I had come to. Seconds passed before the sounds of her feet faded in the distance. I had won. Why instead did it feel like I had lost?

A presence behind me awakened my senses. The hairs on my arms stood on end and a breeze tickled the back of my neck. A warm hand reached out and spun me around to face them. I couldn't bare casting my eyes up to meet theirs.

"Lexa," his voice was soft, gentle even. It was a rarity for Beau. His voice enticed me in, igniting a sense of pleasure long since forgotten. Something I was ashamed to admit, something that I knew wasn't returned in the slightest.