Chapter 39

Chapter 39

~Lucie’s POV~

I was in my room for the first time in what felt like ages. The crisp scent of both Casey and I filled the room, making me instantly relax. I laid down on the bed, spreading my arms and feet so that I covered as much room on the bed as I could. Footsteps began to bang through the hall and it was all I could do to close my eyes before the door burst open. I pretended to be asleep, slowing my breathing and calming myself. It was Casey, so it was a particularly easy task to achieve.

“Are you sleeping Luce?” I felt my nose scrunch up unconsciously from the nickname and he let out a throaty laugh.

“I’ll take that as a yes,” he wove his hands underneath my body, lifting me slightly so he could position himself on the bed. I nuzzled my head into the crook of his neck, hearing him sigh in content as I relaxed myself into his arms. A month ago I wouldn’t have been able to imagine myself being able to do something like this, now there was nothing else I’d rather be doing.

“Why didn’t you tell me you knew how to sing?”

“I haven’t sung like that in a really long time. Sometimes I forget that ever could.” Sadness leaked out of my words causing Casey to wrap his arms tighter around me.

“I’m sorry you had to live like that, Lucie. I’m sorry fear was the only thing you knew.” If he only knew. I had stopped feeling fear a long time ago.

“Casey, I haven’t felt fear in over four years. Pain is the only emotion that I let myself feel. I got so used to the pain that I stopped, realizing that I was even in pain. But the pain is gone now Casey, and that scares me.”

“Why does it scare you?”

“Because now that there isn’t pain to consume me… I’m starting to feel like I used to. Before I was called the Alpha Killer.” Casey shifted uncomfortably underneath me. He was an Alpha after all.

“So what do you feel now?”

“Too many things. Fear, happiness, joy, content, love…,” I let my voice trail off as heat rushed to my face. Love. Something I still didn’t understand and hardly believed exists.

“Love?”

“For Sonny and Roman… Kaija and Dom too.” I left his name out, making myself clear my face of all emotion. His face dropped, obviously hoping that I would say his name as well.

“Casey. I wish I could say I love you. I wish I could say I was in love with you. But I don’t know what that kind of love is. I’ve never seen it before, I’ve certainly never ex-,” my words were cut off when Casey crashed his lips against mine. His lips were harsh and demanding, forcing my attention on him. Heat spread through my body faster than I thought was possible and soon I was lost in the kiss.  When he was satisfied, his kiss softened and slowed, awakening a part of me that I had only ever felt briefly, never knowing what it truly was. Suddenly I felt a pressure on my mind, begging to be let in. Casey deepened the kiss, as if to tell me it was him trying to break into my head. I hesitantly let him in only to be enveloped completely in what he sent me.

Wave after wave of emotion hit me, all powerful and all consuming. Images flared in my mind that were not my own, images of me on my first day in Shadowswoods. The feeling that he felt when he first saw me, overwhelmed me, it was so powerful and so intense that it had me gasping for breath.

“Casey?” It took a few seconds for me to recover and catch my breath. When I did I froze, instantly thinking back to the emotion that I had been trying to decipher before the on slot of his memory. It was the same emotion.  Before I had told Casey I’d loved him in a different way than Beau, but I hadn’t said I was in love with him. I was in love with Casey Shadowswood.