Chapter 54

Chapter 54

~ Darcy’s POV~

The car ride was cumbersome at best. The girls seethed the entire way there, which was to be expected, of course. On one hand, I wanted to take back everything that I had said. On another, I knew it wasn’t best for anyone, leaving me to hold my tongue the entire way there. Leaving the campsite was still something I wasn’t all together used to, having only left one other time before for Dion’s strange coffee run. Soon the heavy foliage around us thinned, the roads becoming more and more stable as they turned from gravel to paved. Dion’s car swerved behind us, letting us know his inclination to try to get in front of us. Surprisingly Mani let up on the gas, allowing us to fall behind just enough for Dion’s jeep to pass us.

Nerves unsettled my stomach, but I pushed through them. This was neither the time nor the place for my feeling and my emotions to be affecting me. My eye widened as Nakota reached out a hand to turn the dial on the radio only to be smacked away by Maniae. Nakota let out a quiet gasp, seconds later readjusting herself in the seat in front of me.

“Actually music doesn’t seem like a half bad idea about now, Maniae,” silence greeted me, and I inwardly groaned at the fact that I was once again getting ignored by the two girls. It had never been my intention to create a rift between the two women, but, nevertheless, I had succeeded in doing so. Soon the scenery outside my window began to become more and more familiar. I knew we were getting closer to the coffee shop that Dion and I had only days ago dined at. Only minutes later we arrived at the location. Dion was already standing outside of the building, his arms crossed against his chest as he stared at the massive building.

“How’d you find out about this place?” I asked, honest curiosity coloring my tone.

“I went back and had a little chat with Sydnie. You know the sweet little Barista that works at the Bean There Café? Apparently you’re friend Vega is quite a talker, been trying to pick up little Miss Sydnie for months.”

“Oh really?” I was starting to like this plan less and less as time went on. The girls followed behind me as we all approached the service door next to garage doors of the auto shop. Dion and I stood on either side of the door. Maniae stood behind her Alpha, leaving Nakota left standing behind me. Geraldo was still waiting by the car, his eyes surveying us passively. We all waited for a few more moments before turning back around to gaze at Geraldo expectantly. Seconds passed before a buzz sounded in Dion’s pants.

“What the-,” Dion pulled out his cell phone out of his pants and glanced at it curiously.

“Seriously, Henriques? You waited until now to tell me this?”

“What? What did he say?”

“He says that he was informed before coming her that there were two Gypsies in the area. It wasn’t until I said her stupid name that he remembered that specific little detail. He now thinks we are about to walk straight into a trap. Sydnie Wilshire.”

“Seriously? Sydnie is a gypsy too? Why does everyone I end up meeting turn out to be less than human?” The girls shot me a look that told me to hush. Being the smart man that I was, I chose not to fight it. Without another word Geraldo walked forward and threw open the doors to the shop, leaving us to stand there in his dust.

“What do we follow him or-,”

“Shut up, Darce,” Dion grumbled before following Geraldo in. Mani trudged in after him, flanking his other side. Before entering I shot a look back at Nakota. Pain reflected back in her eyes and I pushed off all rational thoughts and engulfed her in a hug. For a few seconds she stood there stunned before she relaxed into my hold.