Chapter 28

Chapter 28

~Lucie’s POV~

The feeling was eerily familiar. The room was basically the same. The topic was foreign though, along with the people. I had gotten used to the different scenery. No long nights crapped into a black surveillance van, no more countless hours wasted on strategic planning with my ‘father’ going over the rights and wrongs of planning a preemptive strike. But here I was back in a darkened room surrounded by some of the most intelligent people in the pack.

“Lucie are you alright?” Casey’s eyes were filled with concern, but the only thing I could do was turn away and grasp the edge of the large table with my hands as I tried to quell my jumbled nerves.

“Fine. It’s just been a long time since I was in an Operation room and let’s just say that I’ve always hated them.”

“Operation room? Like the game?” Alayah was trying to make light of the situation and I saw that. I offered her a weak smile, but I still couldn’t shake the nauseating feeling that was still getting from being in the room.

“Back at the compound my brother and I always made up names for the missions when we were younger. Eventually the compound started to notice and then gave me the pleasure of naming all of our… operations. Hence the name.” Alayah raised an eyebrow and I knew she wanted some examples.

“Operation Romeo, Banshee, Backhand…,” the names kept rattling off in my head, each with strong buried memory attached to them.

‘Oh come on, you had to have a favorite name, Lu,”

“Rock and Roast,” it was my favorite name. But it was one of my least favorite maneuvers. I must have cringed visibly because Alayah turned away. Guilt had begun to eat at my chest, but I knew that I had to block off all of my emotions before we could start planning. 

“Let’s begin. Casey.” I turned my attention towards Casey and he nodded, walking over to the head of the table. I walked to the opposite end, just as I had done with Darcy.

“Alright, with the information that we just obtained from Auggie we now know that the Refugee Pack is now off the board on the offensive side. This lowers the opposition’s fighting strength significantly. Thoughts?”  I took a breath. I had seen this exact battle plan before about three years ago. Darcy had been in Barbados, undercover with a small group of rogues that had been spotted. I doubt he even knew about the mission I had been on.

“Three years ago I had been in an operation much like this one. I was sent in with about ten other operatives to deal with the Hollow Peak Pack.  They had been aggressive towards humans for the last ten years or so. We let them be because they hadn’t killed anyone yet. We would have upheld that policy if they hadn’t banned, with the Wild Darkness Pack. The WDP had been our hit list for over fifty years. Numerous attempts to take out the pack had been implemented. None of them were successful. But now they had a weak point. We had a way in. Turns out that had never been the plan. WDP had joined up with Hollow Peak because they wanted something from them. Once it was in their sights they struck. Everyone but the people they wanted were killed.” I still remembered calling it in to my father. Explaining a battle strategy to my father that I had never heard of or understood was something that was quite new to me.

“All that work for just a couple of people? Are you kidding me? That can’t be true.”

“The people they wanted would have never joined them on their own. WDP had to convince their marks that the pack they were in wasn’t safe. That the pack they were in was out to get them and wasn’t treating them fairly. They always kept one of the members of the pack that their mark was close to. That person would have seemed to have ‘betrayed’ them, but they still loved or cared about the mark.”