Chapter 40

Chapter 40

~Quan’s POV~

My heart was thudding faster than it had in six months. I was running as fast as my legs could carry me, running through the streets of Changxing, a large city in central China, in almost a blur. When Beau and Dom had asked me to help locate someone I didn’t think I’d go this far. But then again, I should have known when Beau asked if I still had connections in the malicious gang that had whipped out my entire village.

“If we don’t stop soon my legs are going to fall off!” Usually I would scoff at a declaration like that, but not this time. I was dripping sweat off of every orifice, my eyes nearly blurring as sweat dripped into my eyes.

“He’s… around here… somewhere,” I said between heavy breaths as I slowed my pace to a jog.

“Oh come on wolfie, don’t quit on me now,” I rolled my eyes and forced myself to go faster, knowing that a rival gang that had been following us for miles was still hot on our tails.

“Who are those guys anyways?”

“Enemy’s to the men we’re after. Onyx’s men usually clear the area when they come into town. Some treaty or something. As long as they don’t hurt the customers or vandalize the shops they can come onto Onyx land anytime they want. The only rule is they can’t linger and can only come in come here to buy produce and merchandise.”

“But it’s okay to chase innocent bystanders down the streets?”

“We… aren’t innocent… bystanders Othello. How are you… not out of breath?”

“Cardio. A lot of cardio.” Othello shot me a grin and I rolled my eyes, not wanting to waste the energy on dealing with his innuendo.

“Aren’t we supposed to be looking for a green glowing serpent with smoke glowing around it?” I halted completely, blocking out the sounds of the pursuit behind us.

“Where?” Othello grinned and swung around to my side, picking up my arm and then pulling my index finger out to point at a gloomy building in front of us. I scaled my eyes up the massive building looking for the symbol. When I saw it, I groaned, eyes instantly darting to the symbol beside it.

“What’s the matter?”

“Looks like we won’t be needing the help of that guy anymore. The real person we’re looking for is here as well.”

“Who’s that?”

“My old boss, Bullettooth.”

~☾~

“Are you sure that he’s the kind of person that we want to associate ourselves with? I’m sure how comfortable I am doing all of this…-,” I took a deep breath and pushed myself farther into the crowd.

“Yeah. He won’t kill me Otto. He’s just… he keeps up appearances more than he needs to.” I wasn’t completely a lie, but it was one that I hoped Otto believed. Bullet wasn’t someone I liked associating with. He was the person who had been directly responsible for me when I worked with the gang. The werewolf gang. I took a deep breath and let myself search through the crowd with my senses, instantly locking on the familiar powerful presence that was Bullet.

“I think I found him,” Otto nodded and followed me, weaving behind me at a steady pace. Bullet was in the back of the club, behind a set of velvet ropes with bodyguards standing in front of it. Bullet was sitting in the middle of the couch, smoking what I could only assume was a Cuban Cigar. People were sitting around him conversing but no one dared to talk to the man himself.