Chapter 47

Chapter 47

~Caven's POV~

"And?" Miles asked, looking at me expectantly. I looked away, focusing on the metal bars behind his head.

"You don't have to tell us anymore, Cav," Beau's voice was uncharacteristically light, something that set me off almost instantly.

"What Beau? Afraid I'll break down like you do if I talk about my past? News flash, big guy. Not everyone is like you,"

"You're right. I'm not like you, I tried to save my pack. You destroyed yours." Beau sneered, his expression shifting from concerned to malicious in seconds.

"Now, now, now, boys. That's no way to talk to one another."

"Alpha Whitney. What a pleasant surprise. Let me guess, your brother hasn't come through with his end of the arrangement yet?"

"Seems my idiot brother isn't as clueless as I thought," I couldn't resist letting out a chuckle. Everyone once again turned towards me, waiting for me to explain my outburst. I rose to my feet, feeling an odd wave of power wash over me, strengthening me in ways I couldn't describe.

"I have a feeling that your brother is a lot smarter than you give him credit for, pup,"

~Lucie's POV~

Do you know that feeling you get when your entire world is going to crash down around you? My hands were sweaty as I walked back and forth behind the glass window, my eyes darting daringly at the man I knew simply as Z. There was something about the way that he was smiling that was setting me on edge. He was giving me a smile that said 'I know something you don't'. Now it was my turn.

No one was guarding the interrogation room. I suppose this was lucky for me. Z... not so much. I opened the door to the room, letting a satisfied smirk cross my face. I was dressed as I used to, before I gave up hunting. I had a long shimmering green dress matched with a pair of stylish yet versatile black leather boots. My knife was concealed underneath my dress and I knew that something this monster was going to say was going to have me wielding it on him.

"And the prodigy daughter returns, Oh wait, scratch that, brother bear already spilled the beans. Tsk, tsk. There was a time Hunters required a little more respect don't you think?" I rushed forward, tipping the back of his chair back. I suspended it mere centimeters from the floor.

"You have no idea what you're talking about, wolf," his eyes flickered at my words. I didn't suppose it was common knowledge that he was a wolf. He didn't smell it, in fact, I couldn't even sense it. But I did know it. I saw the wheels turning in his head as he once again took in my appearance, this time taking his time as he processed ever little detail about me. Finally, he turned away, signing as he focused on a random fixture in the distance.

"It was smart separating us you know. Should I feel honored that you chose to speak with me instead of one of my counterparts?" it was the first thing he had said that hadn't been prompted.

"You're the clear leader of this group. Why talk with the squire when you can speak with the king?"

"Don't let K know that. She'll have my balls for that."

"Aw... are and you and K dating? Aw! Let me guess, L is your adoptive child." I watched as the anger swirled in Z's eyes, something that brought back memories I wish would have been left buried.

"We have names you know. We don't all call each other by our letter."

"Then enlighten me, oh great one," with every taunt I knew I was pushing him closer and closer to his edge. His breaking point. I had pushed him over it many times before. But I needed to get back at him. I needed at least some revenge now that I was in control.