Chapter 42 part 1

Chapter 42 part 1

~Lucie's POV~

I would have strangled my brother if a familiar spine tingling feeling hadn't distracted me. I could literally sense the magic in the air. It meant one of two things, either Aimeri and the gang were back or Silvia had decided to make yet another appearance. Honestly, I'm not sure which one of the two I would have preferred more right now.

"I'll deal with you later. Let's go great welcome the guys back." Sonny nodded, apparently thankful for the distraction that had spared him. We made our way to the conference room, carefully making out miscellaneous faces around the way.

"Oh my sweet darling, I'm so sorry to hear what's happened to you," Rina said, enveloping me in a hug that until then I had no idea that I had needed.

"I promise I will put itching powder in his sheets for you. That man will be scratching himself silly for weeks! All you need to do is say the word. I even have some already on hand." I could help the giggle that escaped me at her words. Only Rina would risk angering a potentially lifesaving ally for the sake of my dignity.

"It's okay Mother Rina. I'm a big girl, I can exact vengeance myself." Rina gave me a knowing smile and then stepped aside, letting me walk freely into the conference room. Beau was talking with Dom at a nearly inaudible level that even I struggled to hear. I cast my gaze around the room, searching for familiar faces in the mix of the many wolves now seated at the rounded conference table. My eyes lingered one the faces of Beau's men. They were not beholden to the social custom of pack life, that much was obvious as  many of them rested their feet on the meeting table with their heads cast aside of the chair all  together. Not even the many looks of disgust deterred them from their blatant show of disrespect. Aimeri sat next to the wolf that he had arrived with the first day, the one that had fallen from the sky with oversized butterfly wings attached to his back.

"Sis, it's the Butterfly Boy!" All eyes turned to my little brother who was standing behind my back pointing at the man sitting next to Aimeri. A low growl filled the room and my I narrowed my eyes at Taiden, showing him to stand down.

"Uh, why does the scary guy look like he's going to eat me?" Sonny asked, nearly cowering behind me.

"Oh sonny, you know it's not nice to point at cannibals. You're lucky it's not his feeding day or I would be forced to serve you to him." Laughter filled the room, even Taiden cracked a smile at that.

"Cannibal?" Sonny squeaked, his face going pasty white as he looked at me in horror. I tried to keep my face straight as I attempted to give Sonny a scolding look.

"Sonny everyone has a right to do what they want in their free time. How do you think he got so big? Eating all his vegetables?"

"Duh," Sonny blurted out, then blushed as the room once again filled with laughter at his gullible-ness. 

"I'm not a cannibal. Even if I was I wouldn't be foolish enough to eat the Luna's brother. Beau would have my head." Sonny relaxed a little bit, but still stayed safely behind my back.

"You should go back home and say hi to your brother,"

"Yeah me going out of my way to say hi to my older brother sure isn't happening, Luce. We might be brothers, but we sure as hell aren't friends."  I turned around, everyone from the conference room still staring at my brother and I.

"I need to be alone with them, Sonster. I don't want you to have to hear what I need to say." The double meaning of my words instantly clicked in Sonny's eyes and he nodded, if somewhat hesitantly.

"Mind link me if you need me. Rome and I will be over in two seconds flat." I gave him a weak smile and nodded, even though I wouldn't call if I needed him I still felt obligated to let him believe that I would. He was so much fragile than I, even Roman. They both had yet to take a life, and for that reason alone I knew I would do everything in my power to protect their innocence. It was the least I could do for them. Even if they didn't know how they would react when the time finally did come, I wasn't going to be the one to put the knife in their hands.