Chapter 41

Chapter 41

~ Lucie's POV~

I was lying on my bed trying to relax. I tossed to my side trying to get comfortable again. Ever since I was little, I'd had a difficulty turning off my mind when anticipation flowed through me. Anticipation seemed to be my enemy on many occasions because turning off my mind usually was next to impossible for me. I sighed, giving up on trying to get comfortable and sat up. I debated whether or not I should go for a run. Instead of playing it safe like I secretly wanted to, I decided to go for it only to freeze when a knock sounded on my door.

"Lucie? It's Lexa. Can I come in?" I let out a sigh of relief knowing that it was Lexi on the other side of the door and not someone more unsavory.

"Yeah, come in," I trotted back to my bed and sat on it, trying to look inconspicuous. Her smile wavered as she saw me and I instantly knew that whatever reason she was in here wasn't of her own volition.

"What's up?" I asked hesitantly, eyeing her wavering body language discreetly.

"Look, I wouldn't bring you this if I hadn't been ordered to, okay?" My body instantly locked up, my fingers unconsciously drifting to the empty knife holster on my thigh.

"It's not a bomb, you idiot," she rolled her eyes playfully at me, a hesitant smile gracing her face. Nevertheless, I was still on high alert, not liking the way Lexi was looking at me.

"Then what is it?"

"It's a letter. And not a light one either. Is there someone who can sit with you when you read it?"

"Why would I need someone with me when I read a letter?" I asked incredulously, my mind beginning to swarm with possibilities of what the letter could entail, each option worse than the one before.

"Just answer the question, Lucie," her eyes were trained on me, her smile devoid of emotion. Something was definitely up.

"Alayah, why?"

"I'll be back," she left before I could process what she had said. It took her strolling back into the room minutes later for me to snap out of my confused daze.

"Lucie what the hell is going on? I was in the middle of a very important- Lexa what the hell did you do to Lucie?"

"What?"

"Lexa, you better tell me what the hell is going on in here before I go get Casey. He's still suspicious of you and right now I can finally see why." Alayah had made her way into my room, stepping defensively in between Lexi and me.

"I just need you in here while she reads this letter. She isn't going to like what she reads and it's either going to make her really sad or really angry. Now can you sit with her or not?"

"I don't need a babysitter, Lexa," I nearly spat out at Lexi, who still seemed to be on edge about this whole thing.

"And why do you have the letter?" Alayah asked, her eyes still sizing Lexi up.

"Because Beau gave it to me before he left. He ordered me to give it to her while he's gone. I can't disobey a direct order from him." I nodded, knowing exactly what she meant. I might have only worked alongside Beau for a while, but I while I did I'd learned one very important thing. Respect him and his wishes. It was one of the few rules he had while you worked for him. He also didn't often make requests of people, but when he did, he expected whatever he asked of that person to be met and dealt with accordingly.

"Just sit with me already so we can get this over with," she still looked reluctant, but she obeyed either way. Lexa paused in the doorway before she turned around one last time.