Chapter 44

Chapter 44

~Dom’s POV~

I knew that this wasn’t where I was supposed to be. I knew I should be anywhere but here. Nevertheless here I was, standing in front of the long corridor that lead mate. I was terrified to see her, to see what this prison had done to her. Part of me felt guilty for not pushing for better conditions for my mate. The other part me, the more rational part, knew she deserved everything she was getting. I forced myself to continue walking, not letting myself linger in the doorway any longer. I kept my eyes aimed straight forward, letting my face devoid of all emotion. I knew what needed to be done, yet for some reason I was doing everything in my power to delay it.

“It’s been a while, Dominic. Where’s Bowen?” It took me a few moments to figure out what she was talking about. Then I remembered the last time that I was down here.

“He’s about to meet up with some old enemies of his,” surprise flickered in her dim eyes, giving them an almost normal appearance for a few seconds.

“Whoever it is, they must be important. Your Alpha has never pulled the guards away from their post before.”

“He did? Does he fear the ZKL that much?” The second the name was out of my mouth Claire had thrown herself in the farthest corner of the cell.

“No! NO! They didn’t find me. They couldn’t have found me! No, this is just some twisted trick to get me to talk about things I don’t know about! Guards, guards! Remove him!” Her screams were met with nothing but the coldness of my stare. Why was everyone reacting so violently to the ZKL?

“Some of Beau’s men brought them here. Beau obviously didn’t know about it though, he looked like he was trying to decide whether to run for the hills or kill the men who brought them here.”

“Of course he would be acting like that! He was one of the three people that escaped there! Not everyone was so lucky, Dom. My parents-,” Clarie’s voice caught in her throat as she looked away, lifting her hand to wipe tears from her eyes. I was speechless. The ZKL were the reason Clarie was an Orphan. I hadn’t heard all of what happened to Lucie, but from what I had heard whatever happened to Claire’s parents, it was brutal.

“They’re most likely going to be contained somewhere if they are allowed on Pack lands,”

“I would rather they execute me than force me to be in a hundred feet of those people. Lucie told me some of the things that happened to her when she was held captive by them… she lost a month and gained a hundred years’ worth of memories she never wanted to think about again. She made it out. My parent’s didn’t. I try not to think about what finally did my parent’s in. All I can hope is that whatever finally did them in, they died together.” I forced myself to look away, her words affecting me more than I liked.

“I didn’t come here to catch you up on the latest news in pack life,”

“I figured as much,”

“We aren’t compatible Clarisse. We are from two different worlds, one’s that just can’t coincide. Your main mission in life is to kill the people I love. I can’t let you do that.” My voice was stone cold, my eyes staring at the space just above her eyes. I forced my eyes to meet hers and then I continued, severing my soul from hers.

“Clarisse Kepler, I reject you and everything you stand for. We might have been destined to be together, but your desire to kill the ones I love inhibits me from being able to love you. You are no longer my mate.” My heart threatened to be out of my chest with each passing word, a liquid fire beginning to surge within my veins. I had never met someone who had rejected their mate, so I was entirely unprepared for what would happen for rejecting mine.