Chapter 52

Chapter 52

~Lexa’s POV~

I felt sick to my stomach, a gnawing feeling resonating from somewhere deep in my chest. I had been sick for days, something that my kind was never used to. I felt like an outcast here, laying alone in a desolate cinder block room. Having space was nice, but if given too much it could drive a woman mad. There was an old analog clock hanging above the clinic’s entryway, its chime the only signal of the passing of time. I tossed on my side, ignoring the feeling of pain spreading through my body. Weakness plagued me, making even the smallest of movements a painful task.

“Knock, knock?” Beau’s tentative voice rung out, his fist hitting the entry door with each word. I held back the groan that threatened to escape me at his presence. Beau was one of the few people that always managed to see through my façade, something he had quickly garnered from our high risk work together. The business we were into required a full understanding of your partner’s facial cues… their body language and when and if they were bluffing. Beauregard didn’t get where he was today by his good looks alone. Though they did help a little.

“Go away, Bowen.”

“Ouch. Wow, last name privileges… straight to business already, huh Ramsey? If this is what it’s going to be like every time I come and visit you in the hospital, remind me to just send you flowers next time.”

“This isn’t a hospital, Bowen,”

“It’s the principle, Lex. The principle. I talked to the Doc on the way in here. He says that whatever ails you is most likely psychological or magically induced. Nothing that should require you confined in this hell hole… I mean come on Lexa. There aren’t even any windows in this place. You need some sunlight. The lack of vitamin D in your system isn’t helping your system any.”

“I’ll just drink some extra orange juice. Now leave me be. I need sleep.”

“Vitamin D isn’t in orange juice Lexa. Vitamin C is… look at you. You’re so far gone that your getting your alphabet mixed up! Come on, I’m breaking you out of this prison. I’ll cover your butt while we commandeer you some pants, okay?” I chuckled at the thought. Leave it to Beau to say something like that. All I could say was that he’d seen one too many movies for my taste.

“Your logic Beau once again astounds me.” I huffed weakly, attempting to sit up, but falling back down onto the bed in the same motion. Worry flooded his eyes, but I shrugged off his attempts at helping me sit up again.

“Maybe we’d better give it another day or two? Maybe the insurance will cover it then anyway.”

“Hardy har har. Nice one Beau. Just help me get out of here, Beau. I’m sure once the sun hits my face again, I’ll be good as new.” I teased, suddenly wishing to be anywhere but here. The nauseating white walls of the clinic finally getting to me for than they were helping. Beau shot a calculating glance my way, seizing up both my façade and the truth that lay underneath.

“If you think it would help,” I nodded, most likely a little too enthusiastic for his tastes before he started breaking out into a fit of lighthearted laughter.

“Next time you want a jail break this bad, Lexi, just call. Desperation isn’t a great look on you.” I shot him a barely veiled glare and once again tried to get to my feet.

“Are you sure you want to do this Rams?”

“Call me Rams again and I’ll show you how sure I am about this Beauregard,” I grumbled, hating the nickname. Chuckling, Beau helped me to my feet. Angst spread through me as I willed myself to stay up. I wanted nothing more than to know what the hell was wrong with me, but lying in this hospital bed wasn’t going to bring me any closer to figuring out what was wrong with me.