Chapter 53

Chapter 53

~ Darcy’s POV~

Air filled my lungs once again as I bolted upright. Within seconds, pain shot through me as my head reeled from banging against someone else’s. Disoriented, I opened my eyes, trying to make sense of whatever new situation I had somehow managed to find myself in. Coherent thoughts escaped me as I rubbed my forehead, almost as if I could physically rub some sense into it. What had happened? What had landed me here? I could only formulate bits and pieces of my situation, thanks to the massive woman standing in front of me, glaring daggers into my soul. Who was she? And why did it seem like she was looking but not at the same time?

“You gave your Alpha quite a share, young one. I will not know the damage until I speak with you further. What is your name, Wolf?”

“I’m not a wolf, cretan. I’m a Hunter. Son of Antigen Davis, next in line to take over the Davis Hunter Compound.”

“Very good. You remember your name. Do you forget the details, though, non-wolf? You no longer are next in line to take over your families Hunter Compound. You be their newest Outlaw.” Her accent was thick, hinting that the fact that she very well wasn’t from this country. She kept calling me young one, though she appeared to be only a few years older than me.

“Who are you and why are you in my tent?”

“I be a Voodoo High priestess. Me name is Mhambi Dambudzo. I no pack doctor o’ physician like you peoples like usin’. Siren’s be a tricky thing, you knows,” Sirens. So it hadn’t just been a dream? The witch doctor’s eyes tinged with knowing before she bowed her head.

“No need to overstay me welcome,” she turned around, her fingers twirling in the air as she strolled out of the tent. Seconds later, to the same beat, I felt the puncture of what felt like a hand of claws digging into me. A strangled gasp escaped me, drawling from somewhere deep inside me. The pain didn’t lessen, instead it trudged on, almost as if the nail-ish feeling was attempting to drag something else entirely out of me.

“Darcy?” A disheveled Dion entered the tent, followed closely behind by two people I wasn’t ready to see; Nakota and Maniae. I couldn’t help my body’s response to cringing at the sight of them, the memory of their siren impersonators still fresh in my mind.

“I’m not sure I can stand company right now, Dion. Do you mind tellin’ the girls to step out?” It was a nice enough lie, one that Dion quickly took at face value. The girls passed looks between each other before shooting a wary glance in Dion’s direction.

“You heard the man, out,” I closed my eyes as I attempted to block out the still painful clawing feeling pulling in my chest. Whatever the witch doctor did to me was still fast at work combating the Siren’s witchery. I hadn’t much noticed the passing of time until Dion first spoke.

“You’re still in pain,”

“I’ve been masking my pain from others for years now… never before have I ever had to mask this kind, though.”

“Was it true, what the Voodoo gal said? Was it Sirens?” The pain twitched a little in my chest. Keeping my jaw firmly shut, I focused on dulling the pain inside me. I ignored all outwardly stimulations, in turn focusing all of my energy on lessening the pain raging within me. When the pain was lessened to a more bearable level, I turned my attention back to Dion. Apparently he had been staring at me through the whole ordeal, causing me to be flustered in return.

“Yeah. It was Sirens,” Dion swore up and down, beginning to pace the confines of my tent with a renewed vigor.

“I knew I sensed something off about him… something familiar. I mean he got you out of commission for five whole days. That’s darn impressive. Taking a Davis out of the game for so long… I should have suspected the cretins from day one! Those evil, philandering, diabolically manipulating-,”