Chapter 16

Chapter 16

~Darcy's POV~

Nothing could distract me. Nothing could stop me. Nothing could stop me for doing what needed to be done. Except her. What makes Winnie so alluring? What is it about her that keeps thoughts about her continuously spinning in my head?  Why couldn't I just stop thinking about her?

I punched the bag in front of me harder, fisting the wrap around my fingers tighter with each blow. I could feel my heart racing in my chest as I bounced from foot to foot, punching high and then low. I felt the sweat drop down my face, some of its salty taste seeping into my slightly parted lips. Stepping back I moved the strands of hair that had drifted into my already unfocused eyes.

"You're going to destroy that punching bag if you keep hitting it like you were just a second ago." I froze as a voice that I didn't recognize filled the room around me.

"State your business here or leave," I spit out, every muscle in my body locked as it prepared itself for attack. Something about that voice wasn't right. I had heard it before, back when I was a little boy. Right as I killed my first werewolf.

"Oh you recognize me, huh?"

"Impossible, I can't recognize someone that I can't see!"

"Then turn around, see for yourself. I am no threat. I can't hurt you. That would be like hurting myself." Something in his words made me turn around and what I saw confused me. There was a boy, an ordinary boy just sitting there on a stool in the corner of the room near the door. 

"Who are you?"

"Cyrus Wolff. But you can just call me Wolff,"

"Wolff... are you a wolf?"

"Some might say that, others might not. There are many things that your parent's kept hidden about your birth Darcidian."

"And what is that supposed to mean Wolff?"

"You aren't ready to know the truth yet Darcy. That much I can assure you. What you need to focus on now is what is really bothering you. Focus on Winnie."

"You leave Winnie the hell alone."

"You are forgetting what I said earlier young one.  I can't hurt you. Hurting Winnie would hurt you, so I cannot do it."

"What the hell are you talking about Mutt?"

"And the name calling has begun...,"

"I swear you leave Winnie alone. I don't care who you think you are Wolff. You don't get to threaten her."

"Darcy? Who are you talking to?" A small voice asked. Whipping around I turned to see Winnie standing in the door opposite of the one I had been facing. 

"Um...," I briefly turned around, casting my gaze to where Wolff had just been, only to find that the set was completely empty. 

"I um... no one Winnie."

"Whoever it was, it sounded like you were defending me. Thanks for that." Winnie had stepped closer to me, her chest nearly flush against my own. I watched in fascination as Winnie leaned down and grasped my hand lightly in hers.

"Oh look what you've done to your beautiful hands! Let me clean that up for you." She said, pulling away, most likely to go get a first aid kit.

"Nothing about me is beautiful, Winnie," my voice rang out in a low whisper, almost so much so that even I couldn't hear it.

"Oh right, men don't like to be called beautiful. Fine. You're very handsome Darcy Davis satisfied?"

"Handsome? No. I don't think that you understand Winnie. Nothing about me is 'handsome'. I am a killer. You see these hands? The ones that you called beautiful? They have killed countless of your kind. Blood of innocents, blood of women, children... fathers, mothers, my hands didn't discriminate. I have killed. Nothing about me is... good. So why do you keep coming back here Winnie? Why the hell do you insist on torturing me so?"