Chapter 36

Chapter 36

~Dominic’s POV~

I was standing in front of my own home, afraid to enter. This had happened to me only a hand full of times in my life. The last time it had been because of the man standing beside me. He had destroyed a part of me that I hadn’t known existed until it was gone. Friendship. I was barely friends with Piran now, the man I had once called my best friend. The only person that I could faithfully say was still my friend was Lucie. For some reason, I felt a deep connection to her, almost to the point where I would do anything for her. Not so much in the romantic sense, though if she asked, I’m wasn’t entirely sure if I would say no.

“Are we going to go inside or are you going to continue to stare at the door handle? As much as your strange attachment to door handles fascinates me, we should probably get a move on things.”  A flash a pain ripped through me at his words. Why did he find it necessary to antagonize me every chance he got?

“If you still value that pretty little face of yours, I’d watch what you say around me.” I spoke in a monotone voice. Beau was silent for a moment, something that had me turning to him in surprise. Beau was never quiet. The thing that got me was, moments ago I had wanted nothing more than to rip Beau to shreds and now here I was, about to start working for him again.  My sister was the last person I wanted to see before a mission, mostly because I had never told her the true nature of my business with Beau.  Beau had made his way inside and I followed. Once we were inside, he let me lead and I took us to the living room. I had sensed everyone was in there, and they were. Lexi and Kaija were sitting at the coffee table, a board game between them.

“Oh! You got married! Hmmm now to choose who you get married to. I still can’t believe that you choose Auggie for me! I mean, come on! That’s just plain insulting! I choose… Taiden for you!” Lexi’s laugh rang through the house as she fell purposely on her back, clutching her stomach as she laughed. It had been ages since I had seen someone laugh that hard.

“Boss!” Vesca sat up, throwing the book he had been reading as far from him as possible.

“I swears, still watch girls! No person hurts girls while Vesca watch! None!”

“It’s okay Vesca, you don’t actually have to physically watch them while you’re on duty.  Just don’t get too wrapped up in what you’re doing, okay? We don’t want a repeat of what happened at Nosk Cliff?”

“It only ball! Ball only touch Boss little!” I rolled my eyes. Of course Beau would be pissed that a ball hit him. He hated when flying things hit him in general. Didn’t know why and didn’t care why.

“What’s going on?” Lexi gave Beau a hard stare, much like the ones that she would always give me. The looks always made me feel like she was reading my soul, instead of just simply staring into my eyes. In all honesty, I was terrified about what I was about to do. I could handle killing rogues, I could handle going deep undercover. What I couldn’t handle was my sister. I was terrified to leave her. I hadn’t even left pack lands since I returned. You could smell my unease in the air, a thick, pungent smell that could nearly suffocate you with a single breath. Kaija must have sensed the change in the air because she stopped rambling about the game and turned to us, her eyes reading me like a book.

“Dom?” I almost cringed at the sound of her voice. It sounded hurt, almost liked the scared little girl who used to climb into my bed during the night when she was scared.

“Kai-,”

“You’re leaving again aren’t you? You’re taking him away!” Tears streamed down Kaija’s face and once again I was reminded of the fact that she was still only sixteen, a baby in the terms of the law. She ran to Beau and started beating his chest with her fists, but no matter how hard she hit him, I would still have to leave.