Chapter 18

Chapter 18

~Lucie's POV~

My vision was fuzzy as I tried to blink the last remnants of sleep from my eyes.  At first all I could see were rough outlines of shapes and then they faded into objects, a coffee table, a couch, and a crude painting hanging from a wall above me. I felt around, trying to get a grasp of where I was and what position I was in. Half of my face was obscured by the coffee table, the other half planted firmly on the carpet that seemed too soft to be real.

"You're awake. It took you long enough. I almost thought that I dug a little too deep in your consciousness."

"Who are you?" The woman was sitting in a leather armchair across from the couch, a fixture I hadn't been only seconds prior.

"My name is Silvia, child. You may call me Silvie." Her voice was extraordinarily calm, while her posture was formal and ridged. I took in her business like persona. Her hair was almost an unnatural shade of red, complemented with her pasty white complexion that screamed her European ancestry.

 "Lucie, you must understand that what I did to both you and Vera I did out of necessity, not anger or retribution. Things need to change, dear. Hunters and Wolves need to be able to work together in harmony, not as tools of your own destruction. You and Vera were chosen to change something. You could change the future... a future very much in need of change."

"What do you expect us to do? Follow through with my parent's master plan of merging the two groups in an attempt to have complete control over both sides of the war? That would destroy everything Pack Life stands for. Hell, it'd destroy everything any life stood for. You can't honestly think that I would go along with that, do you?

 "I do not want you to follow the Davis's plans. I want you to accomplish something better. I want you to lead the Hunters and Wolves of tomorrow into a new age."

"A new age crafted in your image?" I mocked sarcastically, unable to stop myself.

 "Don't be silly Lucie. I'm not delusional, despite what you might think. I know that there is no possibility for the hunters to join forces with the werewolves...that is, unless there was some other force that could rival their hatred for each other."

"Are you suggesting that there is something out there coming? Something that both sides could agree is worse than each other?" Fear began to pulse through me at her words. Over the years I had accustomed myself to both the power and threat of the witches that I worked with. She was in a class all her own.

"I cannot construe upon you any glimpse of the future if I hope for the future to remain intact.  If I divulge any aspect to you, all events bound to happen could change, leading to unpredictable and incalculable variations, some with endings more catastrophic than what's already been planned to come. But I can tell you this, a battle of both sides is coming. It will define the future. Following it will be two more. The result will be either the unity or annihilation of one of your two peoples. The only question is if your past and your present can unite. If not, all those of the losing side with be hunted down and graced with a swift death."

"Some people hide behind riddles when they want to help, but not fall victim to others who wish the advised to fail. Others thrive off the chaos that interpretations of their warnings create. Only those who have someone to fear hide behind riddles. So what of you?  Were the words you spoke true? Or did you weave your words in such a way that all acts I would to commit under them, lead to my ultimate failure?" I had stared her right in the eyes as I spoke, years of practice in the art of intimidation giving me the edge I needed. I saw the change in her emotions as the insinuation of my words dawned on her.