Chapter 48

Chapter 48

~Lucie’s POV~

“I see you still have your talent for getting into people’s head’s Z,”

“Why of course, Sweetheart. I wouldn’t be where I am today if I had lost my touch… I would be dead. We both know my fate has already been written.” His words startled me. Fate. Why must everything come back to fate?

“I didn’t peg you as the type of person to believe in fate,”

“Fate, sweetheart. I believe in all things tangible. How does the saying go? Seeing is believing?”

“You can’t honestly expect me to believe that you’ve seen your fate.” His eyes crinkled around the edges for a moment before he diverted himself of all outward displays of emotion.

“In normal circumstances I would use one of my charismatic lines here… but sadly I mustn’t. With a past, present and future as twisted as mine it’s no wonder I stumbled across something I shouldn’t have. Why do you think I’m so successful at what I do?”

“You’re one of a kind,” I said, the words lacking luster as the fell slightly flat from my lips. The answer was instinctual, rehearsed even. I had asked myself those exact questions night after night after my capture, after my escape. He picked up on my mood shift, but ignored it, carrying on as if the words I had spoken had been said under a different light entirely.

“One of a kind. I like that. Sadly, that’s not the case. I belong to a triage. Each one of us more twisted the one before. Some less in actions than in thoughts. Say, how’s Lexi doing these days?” The blood ran cold in my veins as I stared at Z unblinking. What did he know about Lexa?

“What does Lexa have to do with this?”

“I bet she’s feeling it right now, huh? The discomfort? The pain? I assume she can’t even think coherent thoughts as of now… and to think, her partner left her at a time like this. Pity he had to get captured at a time she needed him the most.”

“Beau…,” my breath caught, my breath catching in my throat. Thoughts and feelings pasted through me faster than it seemed possible as wave upon wave of emotion soared through me. I reached my feelers out to Casey, peaking his interest enough to stop what he was doing. I felt his presence begin to draw nearer, indicating that I needed to gather as much information as I could before Casey reached the compound.

“You ex-lover isn’t doin’ to hot right now sweaty. Ran into the wrong crowd back in China last I heard. And just think, this happened after I had been detained by your little lackeys here. If my triage isn’t filling me… who do you think is?”

“What have you done to Beau?” His eyes widened slightly and then narrowed as his eyes once again ranked my frame.

“Your wit never ceases to amaze me, sweetheart,”

“Sweetheart ends now. Tell me what you’ve done to my partner.”

“You’re partner? I could have sworn that Lexa had replaced you-,”

“No one replaced me. No one can replace me. I’m one of a kind Zoric and you best not forget it. Lexa is a good fill in for the position I once had, but she can never fully fill my shoes.” I could feel Casey’s confusion through our bond as he tried to patch himself through to me. He was picking up bits and pieces of my conversation with Z despite my travails at keeping him at bay.

“How could she? Beauregard isn’t in love with her. Just think, where would we be without Bowen’s love? Oh right, you wouldn’t be here. He wouldn’t have come back for you if he hadn’t already been in love with you.”