Chapter 23

Chapter 23

 ~Darcy's POV~

"Any time now Mani!" I was in a haze. That much was certain. Instead of blocking out everything like I had done for years, I was finally letting it all in. My senses soared and my moves became faster, more accurate. They were not as good as Mani's, but they were better than what they would have been two weeks ago. Soon the wolves surrounding us began to shrink, leaving a more panicked crowd in our wake.

"They're almost here!" I circled around just as Mani smashed two wolves' heads together, leaving them dazed enough to dig into their necks and part of their spine with each hand. Howling sounded as Dion's pack broke through the clearing in the forest. Mani's smile twisted into one of crazed victory as Dion stepped out from behind the trees. She lept onto a wolf that was in front of me, successfully taking him out with one slash of her claws.

"Losing your touch hunter now are we?" I rolled my eyes as I tried to distract myself from the blood running down her head that was dipping into her eye.

"You got a little...," her eyebrow rose as she whipped the blood away with the pad of her thumb.

"Baby," this time I actually laughed a little as I stepped out of the commotion trying to spot Winnie. It took me a second to find her though all the commotion but I soon spotted her laying helplessly under a dead body, successful out of sight of the people fighting around her.

"Winnie," she cringed as she saw me, the sight of her packs blood clinging to my clothes probably nauseating her.

"Go away Darcidian," I flinched at her using my full name, my eyes unable to meet her own as she struggled to get up from under the dead weight on top of her.

"Win...,"

"Don't call me that," I could see the anger and desperation rolling off of her in thick waves, the repulsion an almost tangible feel in the air around us.

"Dion want's us back at the camp in ten," Mani said her gaze drifting between Winnie and us with amusement.

"We'll be there in a sec,"

"Sure you will," her chuckles faded away as she faded back into the crowd of Dion's pack that were starting to shift back through the carnage back to base camp. The remaining members of the Murdock's pack that were left were either being dragged back with Dion's crew or being put out of their misery.

"I'm not going back with you,"

"You are. That is if you want the answers to what Murdock told you."

"He's still alive?"

"I saw Dion dragging him back with the other prisoners yes,"

"Did you know?"

"Know what?"

"That I wasn't really Winnie? That my whole life was a lie?"

"I started piecing things together when you started telling me about your past. I wasn't completely sure until Dion confirmed my suspicions before we got here." She nodded silently and turned away, slowly making her way through her fallen pack mates around her. She approached the woman that she called her mother first. She fell down to the grown next to her, inching close as close to her face as she dared.

"Winnie-,"

"My name is not Winnie. Winnie died. I just have one question before I end you," Mrs. Murdock took a visible gulp before she nodded her head.

"How long did you think you could keep the charade up? How long did you think you would have until all the pieces started to come together?"

"You honestly don't remember do you?" I felt the color drain from my face as a sense of déjà vu overcame me. Her words seemed eerily familiar, as if I had heard someone say that exact same thing to me.