Chapter 56

Chapter 55

~ Darcy's POV~

"What the hell were you thinking?" The tone of his voice had me cringing against my own volition. I hadn't seen Dion this livid in ages, something I had been very thankful for up until this point. I took a deep breath before trying to speak only to be cut off by the still furious Dion.

"It doesn't matter what you were thinking. You killed a man we could have extracted information from. Hell, you wanted to extract information from him yourself! But you let your bloodlust get in the way. You hunters are all alike. Impulsive and reckless killers." His words made me think back to what the rogue had said back at the trap.

"But I'm not a hunter anymore. Apparently everyone knows that as well." Dion's eyes darted away for the first time in the argument.

"And I'm sorry about that, but that doesn't give you the right to go killing one of the few leads we had. He had information we could have utilized, but instead of letting the rest of us take a crack at the boy, you killed him. Did you really forget your own strength or was I right in assuming that it was more than that?" I didn't want to answer his question. I didn't want to think about what his question implied. Had I really gotten lost in the moment? Or did I once again want to feel what it was like to take a man's life?

"I don't know," my voice was quiet, the undeniable ring of defeat sounding in my voice. Dion took a step forward, almost as if to comfort me, but then must of thought better of it and stepped back away.

"Well think about it. But not too hard. The time is coming for us to attack Lucie and her pack. We need you at full performance."

"Yes sir!" The response was automatic, a semblance of my hunter days somehow managing to creep up again. I could already tell that sleep wasn't going to be easy tonight.

~Alayah's POV~

Nothing told me that today was going to be any different than the last. The wind didn't feel any different as if lightly blew from the west. The crunch of dead leaves didn't sound any different than the way that it had sounded the day before. But I was about to find out that even though I hadn't noticed the changes occurring around me, someone else had.

"Alayah Shaw," my entire body froze at the sound of my name. I knew that voice. It was the voice of a friend, or so I thought.

"Hey Hayleigh what's-," she silenced me with a scream.

"Don't 'hey Hayleigh' me Alayah. You know you have no right to speak to me that way," she said, her eyes darting from me to some unseen figure behind me.

"Hayleigh let's talk about this...,"

"No, I'm done talking about this! Did you know my mom sent me to the pack shrink? She saw something was wrong with me. My own mother. She never gives me the time of day and yet she even manages to see that something is wrong with me before you do. My so called 'best friend,'" I took a cautionary step back. Something was very wrong about this situation.