Chapter 4

Chapter 4

~Lucie's POV~

Everyone had fallen asleep watching a movie I couldn't care more for. I couldn't even tell you its name. I knew it was animated and judging from the sounds, most likely a Disney movie. But my attention, it ended there. Instead I had watched the little girl laying calmly in my arms. She reminded me so much of myself that I could hardly tear my eyes away from her. I didn't dare move as I waited for the movie to finish, willing the breathing of the people around me to slow. Once I was sure everyone was asleep, I carried Tabby into my room. Placing her on the left side of the bed, I watched, bemused as she unconsciously snuggled deeper into the blankets around her. She rubbed her cheek against the soft blankets, much like a wolf showing affection to its kin. I forced myself away from the room, returning back to the living room that still housed many sleeping wolves.

Dominic was laying in the exact position I had left him in. His blonde hair was in dismay, strands flying every which way. He had one arm wrapped tightly around himself, the other dangling off the arm of the chair as if he as if he were reaching for someone. His expression was pained and before I knew it, I was stationed in front of him, tapping his shoulder lightly. He groaned at my intrusion, then proceeded to bury his head into the darkest reaches of the chair. This time I shook him, forcing him to a moderate state of alertness.

"It's time to wake up, sleeping giant. It's time to get some sleep in your own bed." I teased, lightly poking his chest. Dom opened his eyes and scanned me, quickly taking in my equally as exhausted appearance.

"I will if you do," I mentally swore, hating how easy I was to read. I hadn't truly slept in years, unable to face the countless faces of the ones I had killed.

"I can't," my voice broke as I fought back the exhaustion threatening to take over.

"Then what are you planning on doing until the sun rises? Leave the pack?" His words pricked at me, pulling at something I didn't quite understand.

"No. I just don't sleep." It was true in a sense. I didn't sleep much, getting the bare minimum of what was required.

"Looks like we've reached an impasse,"

"Just go to sleep,"

"I repeat, I will if you do,"

"But-,"

"No buts. What were you going to do all night? Wander aimlessly through the forest until sunrise? No. You need sleep. Go and I will." I wanted nothing more than to fight against his words, maybe even the man himself it would get him to give. Instead I nodded and made my way up to my room, Dominic hot on my tail.

"Goodnight. But just to let you know, I'm a light sleeper. Step out of this room, crack open the window little. It doesn't matter what you do or how quiet you think you are because I will be there. I'll be in here faster than Santa's reindeer on Christmas Eve." I didn't fight the smile that crossed my face as Dom's true colors finally began to show.

~☾~

I should have known getting Tabby to school wasn't going to be easy. We had already reached the preschool by the time she decided to mention that she no longer went to preschool, but was instead in an entirely different school. Kindergarten. Needless to say, Tabby and I scrambled to get to the building, a building that just so happened to be on the other side of town. We made it there, nevertheless, minutes before her school began. A lady stood in front of the school entrance, her arms folded a crossed her dark orange sweater. Kid's continued to fill in around us, some even pushing me forward with their massive oversized backpacks. As I approached her the fact that she was a werewolf quickly became evident. She smelled like pack, but the way she was staring at me had squirming under her gaze.