Chapter 1

Sabina's POV

I open my eyes and look at my watch, it's 6:00 in the morning. It's eerily quiet, but it usually is. Let me explain, I don't remember what year it is, a zombie apocalypse has taken over the world, or at least my part of the world. I've been alone for, well I don't remember how long. It's been so long that I lost track. It's been years since I've seen and spoken to another human being. My family had been killed years ago, and I've been on the run ever since. I've given up on trying to find anyone else. Now, my goal is just to survive.

"I need to get up, I can't stay here anymore." I look in my bag to see if I have anything to eat, unfortunately I don't "I guess I'm not eating again today" I pack up my few things, and make sure I have my Katana, and start making my way to... I don't know where.

I make my way down the road and just start walking. A few zombies come towards me and they're easily killed. As I'm walking I start replaying memories of my family.

*Flashback*

"Hey Jonah! Come here, I want you to bring this out to mom in the garden." I told my little brother as I handed him the canteen of water for our mother. He's my younger brother but he out grew me a long time ago. Our father got scratched by a zombie 3 years ago, so he's no longer with us. It's just me, Jonah and our mother. As he's walking to the garden I spot movement near the edge of the forest. I take a closer look and realize that it's not just movement. There are about 45 zombies going strait for my mother!

"Jonah!! Look! Zombies are coming, you have to get to mom and run!" I scream at my brother but it's too late. They made it to my mother. I'm screaming bloody murder as I watch the zombies tear my mother apart. Jonah runs up to me shaking me, and tries to yell at me, but I don't hear him.

Finally I am able to focus on him. "Sabina! Listen to me! We need to run, NOW!" He grabs my arm and we start running. We don't have time to stop and grab our things. Jonah has his katana with him all the time and that's all we're able to bring.

A few hours later we've finally found somewhere to rest for the night that has some food for us, and running water. "Jonah, what are we going to do? Mom's dead, and we lost our home. I'm scared." Jonah comes up to me and wraps his arms around me tightly.

"Don't worry Sab. We're going to be ok, we just have to head west to get to the coast, there will be colony's there. There, we will be safe." He reassured me. I lay my head on his lap and started to drift to sleep while he's humming a lullaby our mother used to sing to us.

*End Flashback*

I shake my head after the memory. I wipe my eyes after I'd noticed that I was crying. "I can't let these memories get to me" I continue walking until I find what looks like a department store, or what used to be one.

I walk in cautiously, katana held tight, and make my way to the food sections, carefully walking over dead bodies. Slicing heads off just to be safe. Looking around I find a bunch of food items that I could bring with me. I grab a box of energy bars and put them in my bag. I continue looking through the food items and find chocolate. I haven't had chocolate in so long! I grab a few bars and shove them in my bag as well, and grab another one and start eating it right away. "Oh my God! That's so good!" I think to myself.

After grabbing a couple of packages of dried beans and other dried food items I continue looking through the store. There are. Bunch of items here. It doesn't look like this place has been touched too much. I find myself a new water bottle, and a pair of shoes. There's also some personal hygiene products that I grab. I notice that there is furniture here too. I don't want to sleep on anything too comfortable because I won't be able to run if I need to. So I find a large chair and table, and make myself comfortable.

I haven't slept well since that night I slept on my brothers lap. The nightmares along with having to stay alert prevent me from sleeping. I'm dozing off when I hear a rustling and grunting. "Fuck! I gotta get outta here. Why can't I just get a couple of hours to recuperate?! This is fucking bullshit!!" I swing my bag onto my back, and get my katana ready.

I start swinging my sword, slicing head, after head. Thankfully there aren't very many and I can handle killing them myself. A little while later I killed the few zombies I came across. I'm sitting back in my chair I found earlier trying to catch my breath, and trying to get a bit of shut eye before I have to continue heading west. I have no clue how much further I have to go. Considering I've been on my own for quite a few months now, maybe even a year or two. Jonah was always better with navigating. We had gotten separated a while back, so I've been stuck on my own ever since. I closed my eyes to try and get some sleep.

I'm startled awake but the sound of glass shattering. I look at my watch quickly only to notice that I'd been asleep for 6 hours! That's the most sleep I've had at once in weeks. The shattering happens again a little while later and I jump up and try to sprint out of the store. "Where the fuck is the exit to this damn place?!" I frantically look for the exit to the store. Running into some zombies. I slice their heads off, and continue running.

I finally find an exit to the store, only to find myself in the middle of a horde of zombies. I stand there frozen, and it only takes a second for them to notice that I'm there. One looks me in the eye and charges at me. "FUCK! THATS WAY TOO MANY FOR ME TO KILL ON MY OWN!" So I start swinging the blade. Making just enough room for me to make a path for me to be able to run through while dodging their hands so I don't get scratched. I continue running once I'm through the horde.

I look back quickly only to find that all of those damn zombies are chasing me. "How are they moving so damn fast? At this rate I'm not going to live long! I'm dead for sure!" I continue running until my legs have decided that they can no longer run anymore. I've made it quite far from the zombies, but I can still hear them coming closer. I have decided that now is the time that I'm going to be reunited to my mom, dad, and probably Jonah. I start breathing hard, and begin panicking. "Why now? Why am I having a panic attack now?" I sit down against the tree, bring my knees to my chest and get ready to accept my fate.

I close my eyes and start crying. My panicking is not helping. A little while later I look up thinking that I should be dead by now, only to find a big group of people killing zombies with guns, and swords. I'm so terrified and exhausted that I don't even notice that one of the men has come up to me. I look up to find him trying to reach out to me. Instinct kicks in and I start scrambling backwards, trying to get away. Once I make it to my feet I attempt to run away from him. But I'm so exhausted that I collapse. Just as everything is fading, I feel that I'm being picked up bridal style, and I hear him say "It's ok, we've got you. We gotta bring her back to base! Clarke will know what to do!" Then everything goes dark.