Chapter 24

Sabina's POV

Early the next morning, Caper and I wake up and quickly get ready. We grab our bags that were packed by the door with our last minute things, and head down to the truck. When we get to the truck, I throw my bag into the back of the cab. Caper, goes around the truck to make sure everything is tied down properly.

The rest of our team makes their way tiredly over to us. They throw their stuff in the bed of the truck, and climb in. The three of them look awful, like they've been up all night.

"You guys look like shit. Did you not get any sleep last night?" I ask them. All three of them look at me and roll their eyes. They continue to climb into the truck and slam the door shut. I chuckle to myself. This is going to be an interesting road trip.

Caper comes over to me, and wraps his arms around my waist. "Are you ready to go?" He asks. I turn and look towards the Living Quarters, hoping Jonah comes out to say goodbye. But he doesn't. I sigh and nod my head.

Caper helps me into the truck. I put the katana beside me so I can grab it when its needed. I don't entirely like this sword, there's nothing wrong with it really. It's just that it's not my blade, I've used my blade for so long, I've just gotten used to it.

Caper climbs into the drivers seat, and starts the truck. It's still dark outside when the whole group takes off. We're the first truck in the convoy, so we take off first.

I lean my head against the window, as we make our way through Base to get to the gates. As we're passing the Forge I see Jonah running out, signalling for us to stop.

"Caper Stop!" I yell out. Caper slows to a stop. I swing my door open, and Jonah comes over, helping me out of the truck for a moment.

"Oh thank God I got to you before you guys left. I wanted to be able to say good bye to you before you left, because I don't know when the next time I'll see you will be." He rambles on, while wrapping his arms around me, pulling me into a tight hug. I wrap my own arms around his neck holding him just as tight.

We stay like this for a long moment, until Caper comes around and clears his throat. "We need to get going or we're never going to get to San Fransisco." He informs us. I give Jonah one last squeeze before letting go.

Before I can turn to the truck, Jonah grabs my wrist. "Wait! I have something for you." He says, then pulls something from around his back.

I raise an eye brow at him, in confusion. Then when he pulls a blade out of a case, and I get a good look at it. "OH MY GOD! Jonah is that my Katana!? You sharpened it just in time!" I explain.

When I go to grab it, Jonah puts his hand out to stop me. He nods to Caper. "What doe Caper have to do with this?" I think to myself. Then Caper turns his flashlight on.

I look down at the blade and notice that there's something different. "This isn't your old blade Sab, the reason why its taken me so long to get your katana back to you, is well, I'm not gonna lie to you, I forgot about it. But when you told me that you were going to go on the supply run, I decided to make you a new one. One that is specialized just for you." He says while showing me the blade.

The blade itself has a twist damascus pattern in it. I only know this, because Jonah was showing me something like this when I went to his shop. The handle is sturdy, and is wrapped in a purple cord. It looks like he took the guard off the old katana and put it on this new one.

"Thank you Jonah! I love it!" He puts it back in the case, then hands it over to me. I hug him one more time, with Caper's help again I climb into the truck. I turn to the window, and wave to Jonah as we start driving out of Base.

Caper places his hand on my thigh and gently rubs his thumb back and forth. I turn to him, "Did you know that Jonah was going to give me a new katana?" I ask him.

"Not entirely. He did tell me that he had something he wanted to give you before we left. I assumed that it was your old katana that he sharpened. I didn't know that he made you a new one." He explains to me. Knowing that puts a smile on my face.

I lean my head back against the window and let out a soft sigh. "Go ahead and get some sleep, the others are already sleeping. I'll wake you up when we stop." He says to me before placing a gentile kiss to my cheek. I close my eyes, and let the sounds of the road lull me to sleep.

I don't know how long its been, but the next thing I know is there is something gently rubbing against my leg. And something else rubbing on my cheek. I open my eyes, only to be blinded by the bright light of the sun.

"Ugh!" I groan out. Then I hear someone chuckle. I slowly open my eyes this time, allowing myself to get used to the light. Then I see him. Caper is standing outside the truck, with one hand on my thigh, and the other on my cheek, gently waking me up.

"It's time to get up Sabina. We've stopped, and we're about half way to San Fransisco." He gently says. He helps me out of the truck, and I let out a huge yawn while I stretch. Once I've gotten the kinks out of my neck and back I glance over at Caper. There's a look of hunger in his eyes.

"Like what you see?" I tease him. He stalks over and wraps his arms around my waist.

"If you keep that up, I'll have no choice than to take you right here, right now, in front of everyone." He whispers into my ear, so that only I can hear him. I shiver runs down my spine at the thought of being taken out in the open. "Maybe when we get home, we can have some fun on our beach." I think to myself.

We walk hand in hand, over to the clearing. All the trucks are parked in somewhat of a circle, creating a barricade around everyone. A couple of fires have been started, and some people are sitting around laughing and eating. Just the sight of people eating has my stomach growling.

Caper grabs a plate, and piles it will just enough food for the both of us. Then we sit with our team. Caper sits back against a log, and I take my place between his legs, and lean back.

Once we've finished eating, Caper scoots me forward, and gets up to address the entire group. "Alright everyone! We are about half way to our first city that we're stopping in. From here on out, I want EVERYONE to keep an eye out for survivors. Once we get to San Fransisco, we'll be splitting up. Each team leader has a map of the area you'll be covering. Radio in if you come across any trouble. There will be more than one team covering each highlighted area. Are there any questions?" Caper informs everyone. They all reply "NO SIR!"

"Alright, with that being said, I want to head out in 15 minutes!" He boasts out. Earning him a "YES SIR!" In response.

After we've packed everything up, we start the drive again to San Fransisco. The scenery there is beautiful, but nothing I haven't seen before. While being on my own roaming the country, I've pretty much seen everything.

I keep my eyes out the window, looking out for Survivors, and Walkers. We don't find anything, until we hit the city. "Everyone, now that we're in the city, you can all head off to your designated areas to start your search. We'll probably be here a couple of days, so don't over work yourselves. We still have 2 more cities to hit up. Good luck out there." Caper says into the radio.

"Where are we going first Caper?" I ask him. I know that our team is looking for survivors. There are other teams that are going to be searching for usable supplies.

"We're going to hit up the local hospitals. This could be very risky, but it's also where we could find survivors." He informs me, with a serious tone. Now I get to see the Caper that's in charge. This isn't the sweet Caper that I've grown to love. It's not that I don't love him any more. Quite the opposite actually. Seeing this side of him has me falling more in love with him, if that's even possible.