Chapter 9

Sabina's POV

I feel something moving beside me. I lay there keeping my eyes closed. After laying there for a little while not able to fully fall asleep again. I open my eyes just a tiny bit, and see Caper laying beside me. He's nice and warm. His arms are tucked up behind his head.

I decide to take a risk. I carefully maneuver myself so that my head is on his chest. I wrap my arm around his waist, and cuddle him like that. "Oh god he's warm, and his heart beat is strong, and relaxing." I think to myself. He lifts his arm, and rests his hand on my shoulder. I then feel him place a soft kiss on my forehead. I hear him say, "I will never let anyone hurt you, and I will always protect you from your nightmares and memories."

I feel my cheeks flush again. Darkness starts to take over as I listen to Caper's soothing heart beat. The sound of his steady breathing lulls me to sleep.

In the morning, I'm woken up by the sun shining brightly through my window, and the birds chirping. I go to roll over then hit something hard. I open my eyes, and notice that, the something hard I hit, is Caper. His arm is still wrapped around my shoulder.

He shifts his head, so that when he opens his eyes he'll be looking at me. My head is still on his chest when he opens his eyes. "Good morning Sabina." He says, sounding kind of gruff, from sleep.

I smile up at him. "Good morning." I try to get up, but his arm is stopping me from being able to. I look up at him and ask, "Are we going to get up and start our day? I'm sure you have a lot of stuff to do." He kind of shrugs a little bit.

I lay back down on his chest, and listen to his heart beat. It's so soothing that I loose track of time. I hear Caper clear his throat. "Umm... Sabina can I ask you something?" I look up at him and nod my head. "How much experience do you have?" I look at him with a raised eyebrow. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I ask myself.

I'm so confused by his question that I have no clue how to answer him. My mouth keeps opening and closing. Sort of like a fish out of water. The only response that I can manage is a shrug.

I can see Caper speaking, but I can't hear what he's saying. Suddenly he's leaning in. My eyes widen in shock. Then his lips are on mine. I freeze in.... fear, shock? I don't know what this feeling is. He's not rough, he's actually being really gentle. I don't think he's trying to scare me, but it's not working. I'm feeling the tiny lightning bolts that I feel when he touches me again, but this time it's starting from my mouth, and electrifying my entire body.

I start to panic. I finally manage to move my arms. I put them onto his chest and push myself up. Disconnecting out mouths. I scramble to my feet feeling slightly light headed, from standing up too quickly, and without thinking, I bolt for the door. I make it out the door not bothering to close it behind me. I can feel my heart beating out of my chest. And my breathing is becoming laboured. "Oh god I need to find somewhere where he can't find me for a little while." I say to myself. I book it for the stairs.

I make my way quickly down the stairs when I hear Caper shout, "Sabina! I'm Sorry! Come Back!" Hearing that only makes me run faster. I run through the common room of the Living Quarters. People look my way with confused faces, but that doesn't bother me. My only thought is to find somewhere to hide.

I continue my way towards the agriculture sector. Rounding a corner I find myself in front of what looks like an equipment shed. I carefully open the door. There's no one in here, and it looks like no one has been in here in a really long time. I make my way towards the old looking tractor, that has a bunch of junk laying beside it, and on top of it. "This will be perfect. No one will look for me here." I think to myself.

I pull an old blanket over to the back corner where no one will find me. I make myself comfortable on the ground and wrap the blanket around me so that if anyone comes in I can quickly and quietly hide myself.

Not long after I find my hiding spot, I hear heavy footsteps outside. "Sabina!" I hear Caper call out. I wrap myself tighter. I don't want to see him right now. I don't even know why he kissed me. Sure I'd seen my parents kiss each other, but my mother never really taught me why they do it. Jonah always got in fights with them back then. Saying that they're sheltering me too much.

After reading quite a bit while I was on my own, I understand what Jonah was talking about now. I'm 25 years old and I haven't been taught the basics of what I should already know by now. My parents never taught me how to act with other people, other then Jonah. They never taught me about love, or how it feels. From what I've read, there are different ways to tell if someone loves you. But I don't know how to tell that. After my dad died, mom just looked after the garden, and taught me how to cook, and clean.

I hear more foot steps outside. "Sabina!? Where are you?" This time it's Teagan yelling my name.

I turn my head and peek through a crack in the wall. By the placement of the sun in the sky, it's probably sometime in the afternoon. I know I slept in pretty late. My stomach growls, but it's nothing I'm not used to. I close my eyes, to try to sleep the hunger away.

As I lay there with my eyes closed I can't stop my mind from wandering. I want to know why Caper kissed me. I also want to know why my whole body felt electrified when he did. Then my mind wanders back to my parents before my dad died. They used to be so happy together. Dad would hug my mom, and kiss her all the time. He'd tell her he loved her. And they'd dance in the living room of our home. Jonah and I would dance together also. Back then we were all so happy. That must be what true love is.

Suddenly the door to the shed swings open with a loud Bang. Bringing me out of my thoughts. Thankfully I'm already covered by the blanket, so no one can see me unless they come to the back and move this old thing. I hold my breath, and stay as still as possible. "I don't think she'd be in here." I hear Caper say. He must be with someone else.

"This is the only place that I can think of her being. She's always liked agriculture, so it only makes sense that she'd be here." I hear Jonah answer Caper. My eyes widen. "Fuck! I completely forgot about Jonah! So much had happened yesterday that forgot he was here!" I think.

I carefully turn my head to look outside again. It's dark. I had spent so much time in my own head that I hadn't realized that it was night time already. I hear footsteps coming into the shed further. Things are getting moved and thrown around. Then I can hear a set of boots stop right in front of me. "This is the last place that I can think of. She's has to either be here, or she left Base. But I really don't think that she's stupid enough to do that." Jonah says to I'm assuming Caper.

I hear another set of boots come closer. Then I can see a light being shined down onto the blanket. Suddenly the blanket is being lifted up off of me. I panic, but there's nowhere for me to go. So I just look up to see a very worried Caper staring strait down at me. And a very pissed off Jonah staring at me too.