Chapter 33

Sabina's POV

I'm awake, but I have no energy or do anything else but watch and listen to what's going on around me. I remember the shaking. I couldn't stop, or control it. Caper, and Izzy both rushed to my side in order to roll me. I've never felt anything like this in my life.

I know that the infection I have is bad. Nobody wants to tell me how bad though. If this is what dying feels like, then maybe Caper should just let me go.

Caper just came back, from wherever he went. Something about telling Harper to find something. I don't know, I'm too tired to even remember what's really going on around me.

He sits down beside me and takes my hand in his. "C...Cape..." I try to say. I want to tell him that I love him, but my voice gets caught in my throat. It feels like my throat is lined with sand paper.

"It's ok, baby girl. Harper is finding a room for us, and we will bring your fever down. You can't give up on me. I know this is hard but I need you." He whispers into my ear.

I feel tears prick my eyes and start to roll down my cheeks. Caper brings his hand up to my face, and he wipes the stray tears with his thumb. I try to lean into his hand a bit more, but I can't move. I'm tired, and numb.

Suddenly a wave of drowsiness washes over me. It's hard to keep my eyes open. I need to tell Caper. I focus all of my strength to my vocal cords.

"Caper, I'm......So......Tired...." I manage to get out slowly, while closing my eyes.

I hear someone else say something but I'm too tired to hear what they're saying. Then I feel him put his hand on my shoulder. He says "Baby, I know you're tired, but I need you to stay awake for me. Do you think you can do that?"

Opening my eyes slowly, I try to nod my head. "Thank you baby" he says when he sees the slight movement.

*****

I don't know how long it's been, but every time I would close my eyes, Caper would gently make me open them. At this point I'm using all of my energy to just stay awake for Caper. I don't listen to what's going on around me. I don't care what's touching me, or what I'm seeing. I just stare strait up at the top of the tent.

Something catches my attention, and I notice that someone has come into the tent. From what it sounds like, they seem out of breath. I tune it all out. Caper can handle this all himself, I'm too tired.

After a moment of Caper talking with whoever is here. I hear him say something like "It's decided. We're going to move her."

I feel a slight shift, then hear "Sabina, we're going to move you to a better place, so that you can heal properly." Caper says softly. I don't reply. I'm just trying to stay awake. For Caper.

There's some shuffling in the tent. I assume they're packing up everything. Not long after, I see Izzy stand over me along with Caper on my other side.

"Ok, Caper, I need you to roll Sabina on her side. This way I can put part of this blanket under her. I want to get the blanket under her fully, because this is how we're going to move her from here to the truck, then from the truck to our new room." She tell Caper.

He comes closer and says, "You ready?" But my body won't let me respond. It's like I'm here, I can see, feel, and hear everything, but I can't do anything about it. I want to reach up to Caper, and hug him tightly. I want to cry into his shoulder, and feel him wrap his arms around my waist and keep me safe there.

If I want to feel all of that again, I need to fight for him, for us.

I feel myself get rolled onto my side. Caper's strong hands keeping me in place. His hands feel cool on my burning skin. He rolls me back, and adjusts the blanket.

"On the count of three, we're going to lift her, and very carefully move her to the truck." He orders. "One, Two, Three!" Then I'm being lifted.

I can see that I'm being moved. And I can feel that they're trying not to move me around too much. Someone else grabs the blanket at my feet, and I'm being pulled into a vehicle.

Caper is then standing on top of me with both legs on either side of me. He takes the corners at my head, and they move me enough to get me onto a padded section of what I assume is a mattress in our truck.

Caper makes himself comfortable by my head. I hear the truck door slam, then we're moving. Caper keeps his hand on my cheek, and I'd give anything just to be able to lean into it. But the warmth is enough for me to feel comfortable.

Not too long later, we're stopped. Caper climbs down from the truck bed, and grabs the corners of the blanket at my head. He looks into my eyes. "We're going to bring you into this building, and we're going to get you cleaned up. After that baby, I'll let you rest." He says caressing my cheek before hoisting me up with the others.

Thankfully we don't have to go up any stairs. I don't think this blanket would be stable enough to bring me up those stairs without jostling me like crazy.

I feel myself get placed on a softer bed. And then I hear a door close. Caper comes up beside me, and I feel a dip in the bed as he sits down. I manage to blink up at him.

"Izzy can you go run the bath? I'm going to cut off Sabina's clothes, then I'm going to get in with her, so that we can get her cleaned up. After that I'm going to lay down with her on the bed so that I can keep a close eye on her while she gets some sleep." He tells Izzy. Then looks back to me. "I'm going to get you cleaned up now, okay." He nods to me.

I blink, just to tell him that I heard him. When he sees that his lips curve into a very tight smile. He gets up and grabs a pair of scissors from Izzys bag.

When he comes back I hear Izzy tell him that she'll be in the other room to give us some privacy, and that he needs to be careful with my leg.

Caper begins to cut away my shirt, then my bra and underwear. I guess they cut my pants off earlier, when they stitched up my leg.

Sighing, Caper then picks me up. My head slumps to his chest, and the warmth from his chest really helps me emotionally feel better. He takes a step over the tub, and slowly lowers us into it. The cool water starts to relieve my burning skin instantly.

Caper cradles my body with his, and I relax into him. He lets me close my eyes for longer now, while he washes the dirt from my body. Once he's done, we just sit here in a comfortable silence.

I need to tell him that I love him, but I also need to save my energy. So for now, I'll just cherish this moment.

Carefully, Caper lets out the water, and takes me out. He brings me back to the bed, and dries me off with a surprisingly soft towel.

After I'm dried off, her takes his shirt out of our bag, and slips it over my head. A very sublet smile makes its appearance on my face. Caper sees that and smiles, a sad smile, back at me.

He gets himself changed, then lays down beside me. He makes himself comfortable right beside me on his side, and lays his hand on my stomach.

I manage to turn my head to face him. I open my mouth the speak, but nothing comes out. "Shhh. It's ok. I'm not going anywhere. You can sleep now, and I'll be here when you wake up." He takes my hand in his and gives it a light, reassuring, squeeze.

I pull all the energy I can into my voice again. So that I can tell him what I need to tell him, before the darkness takes me away for who knows how long.

I open my mouth again this time managing to croak out "I... Love...You..." just before my eyes grow heavy, and darkness welcomes me with open arms.