Chapter 30

Caper's POV

After spending hours tossing and turning, completely worried that Sabina could possibly still be alive. I decide that I need to get up and do something.

I get up, and change quickly, then make my way over to the truck. I pull out my book, and start working out a plan on how we're going to find Sabina.

Harper comes up to me and places his hand on my shoulder again. "Did you get any sleep?" I turn to him and shake my head.

"How can I sleep when I don't have the love of my life in my arms? She could be under all that rubble just barely alive, and here we are doing nothing!" I yell out in frustration. I rub my hands down my face, trying to calm myself down.

I hear the revving of truck engines, signalling that the others have arrived to help. Everyone in the tents, start waking up, making their way to the opening. The others in the trucks make their way into the hospital.

I move myself to the centre of the entire group, "Thank you for coming everyone! I know this wasn't part of the plan, but there has been an accident here. Part of the second floor of this building has collapsed, taking Sabina, and a hoard of walkers with it." I inform the group. Almost everyone gasps when they hear that Sabina is trapped.

The response I get isn't all that surprising. Sabina has played a big part in everyones lives here. She's also loved by everyone on Base.

A hand raises from somewhere in the back. "Sir? If it's alright for me to ask, what's the plan to find Sabina?" One of the girls asks.

"I was just about the get to that. My plan is to scope out the perimeter of the hospital, and see if we can find a safe entry way into the rubble. We do not want to have any unstable debris falling and trapping us in the process. We then need to clear a path, then spread out and search for Sabina's body. I know this will be hard to hear, but..." I take a deep breath, not ready to say what's next. "But, Sabina will likely be dead." More gasps erupt from the group.

"I will not stop looking for her until her body is found! I don't care if you guys are tired, or if you guys give up on the search. I will find her, and bring her home!" I yell out. They need to know that I will never give up on the love of my life.

"I will find you my love! You just need to fight for me, you need to be alive!" I think to myself.

Just as I'm about to send each team off to their designated search area, something catches my eye. That's when I see her.

Izzy comes running from the direction of the section that collapsed. "Izzy! Where did you come from?" I ask her. I hadn't even realized that she wasn't with us.

She's panting hard, like she's been running a marathon. I raise an eyebrow to her in confusion.

When she finally catches her breath, and looks at me. "I found Sabina! But she's in really rough shape. She's alive, but just barely." She informs me. "The lower half of her body is trapped under a steal beam, and she's got a lot of other injuries. She's loosing a lot of blood too. I can't help her until the beam is taken off of her." She continues to tell me panic clear in her voice.

Just hearing that my love is still alive has me kicking into over drive. "HARPER! Get a team ready to follow Izzy and I. She's going to lead us to Sabina. She's in rough shape, so I need to get to her now!" He nods and goes to gather the teams.

"Sir, there's no easy way in to get her, you need to clear the debris in order to get to the small pocket that's she's trapped in." Izzy continues to explain. I nod my head and go back to Harper. I relay the information to him, and climb into the truck.

Revving the engine, I floor the gas pedal, and climb the stairs. Driving around the camping area, I plow through, following Izzy as she leads us towards the crumbled section of the hospital.

Izzy stops right in front of the collapsed section of the building. I climb out of the truck, and step up beside Izzy. She looks up at me. "She's through here, keep going strait, and you'll find the pocket that she's in. I'm going to go ahead, and keep her alive. You really need to hurry to get to her." She tells me. Then rushes off, through the fallen debris.

I turn to the group that was following behind me, "Alright everyone! We need to be very careful clearing a path through this debris. We do not want to cause any more to fall, especially as we get further in." I pause, "if anyone sees Sabina inform me right away." I continue.

"Yes Sir!" They all reply.

We all start to move concrete, and metal away and slowly, very slowly make our way through. When we'd make enough of a dent, I'd go back and bring the truck closer so that we could have some light in the dark.

There were a few times where we'd have to hook up some bigger pieces to the truck, and pull it out that way. Thankfully nothing else would fall around it.

At this point everyone was exhausted. We've been at this for I don't know how many hours. I blow the horn on the truck to get everyones attention.

"Ok, I think that's good for right now, we've made really good progress, everyone get something to eat, and some rest. We will pick back up in a few hours." I inform the group.

I climb back in the truck, and stay where I am, while everyone else makes their way back to the main lobby where camp was set up.

I look in the passenger seat of the truck, and see Sabina's old Katana, and her sweater that I brought with me. I start to think "We should have brought a dog with us, then they could have smelled her scent, and we could have found her faster."

Then another thought hit me. "The longer we wait, the longer she has to keep fighting for her life. Please fight my love, I'm coming for you!"