Chapter 8

Caper's POV

As I walk back to my room through the bathroom, I can't help but wonder if Sabina will be ok tonight. I close the bathroom door, but not all the way. This way Sabina can come in if she needs to.

I go to my wardrobe and grab a pair of grey sweats. I don't usually sleep with pants on, but I didn't want to risk anything. I pull my shirt off, and throw it into the basket beside the wardrobe. I take my pants off next. Then slip the sweats on.

I make my way to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash up before I go to lay down on my bed. As I lay there I start to think about my life before I met Sabina. Usually I'd have a different girl in my bed. But now I don't want anyone but Sabina.

I shake my head. "I can't have these thoughts about a girl I just met. I don't even know if she feels the same way for me." I think to myself. I roll over and make myself comfortable.

As sleep takes over, I continue having pleasant thoughts of getting to know Sabina better. "Some day I will make her mine." And that's the last thought I have before the darkness of sleep takes over.

I'm startled awake by a blood curdling scream a while later. So startled that I nearly fall out of bed. I stand up, and quickly get my bearings. I turn around to look outside, it's still dark. I look at the clock and it shows that it's only 2:00 am. I groan. Then I hear the scream again. It's close.

I walk towards the door. When I pass by the bathroom I can faintly hear rustling coming from Sabina's room. I walk through the bathroom and lightly knock on her door, "Sabina? Is everything ok in there?" I ask, but there's no answer.

I try the door handle, lucky for me it opens. I walk into her room slightly. "Sabina?" I ask again. "Are you ok in here?" Still no answer. I start to get worried about her. I walk in further and get a good look at her bed. The blankets are off of it, and she's not on the bed.

I start to panic, when I see a moving pile on the floor in front of her bed. I slowly approach the pile. When I hear another scream, and then "Jonah! Jonah, where are you!?" She's tossing and turning so much that I start to panic again. She's going to strangle herself with the blankets if I don't do something.

Quickly, and cautiously, I unwrap her from the blankets. I sit down on the floor in the corner of the room. I pull her into my lap and hold her. She's having a nasty nightmare. I lean her head into the crook of my neck, and wrap my arms around her body to keep her from thrashing about too much.

Twenty, maybe thirty minutes later, she's finally calm. I whisper sweet nothings to her. Telling her that everything is ok, Jonah is here, and that so am I. She's safe here.

Suddenly she jerks up, nearly knocking my teeth in. Panic written all over her face. She's sweating profusely, I can feel her heart about to beat out of her chest, and her breathing is so heavy. "Hey, hey, it's ok Sabina, you're ok" I say calmly. "It was just a nightmare, it wasn't real." I tell her.

She looks up at me and slowly starts to relax into the crook of my neck again. "That's where you're wrong Caper." She says. I look down at her. Her beautiful violet eyes, full of fear. "It wasn't just a normal nightmare." She pauses. After taking a few deep breaths to even out her breathing, she continues, "it was a memory, a memory of the night Jonah and I got separated." She manages to tell me.

I tighten my arms around her, in hopes to calm her heart rate. "You're ok Sabina. I'm here for you." I tell her and place a soft kiss to the top of her head. She looks up at me with her big, beautiful doe eyes. Even in the soft light of the moon I can see that she is blushing. "You're safe here Sabina, and Jonah is here too. You have me now, and Teagan too. There's also Charli. And I'm sure you'll make friends with a bunch of others here." I tell her quietly.

She relaxes into my arms some more. Her heart rate has slowed to a normal pace. I'm softly brushing her hair with my fingers. It's silky smooth. I glance down to look at her face, only to find that she's peacefully asleep in my arms. Her legs are draped over my lap, while her arms are curled up on my chest. I decide that it's not worth trying to pick her up.

I lay her down on her makeshift bed, and get up. I stretch my back out, and walk over to the bed. I grab the 2 pillows on the bed. I place them on the floor beside her. Then walk over to my room. I grab my blanket off my bed, and make my way back to Sabina.

I lay the blanket on top of her, then fix the blankets on the floor so that I can lay comfortably. I lift her head carefully, and slip the pillow under her head. I set up my pillow how I want it, and climb under the covers. I hadn't slept on the ground since Charli and I had found this place.

I make myself as comfortable as I can. I don't want to get too close to Sabina, I don't want to invade her space.

After laying there unable to fall asleep, I feel Sabina shifting beside me. I don't move, because I don't want to wake her up. Then she shifts herself closer to me, and places her head on my chest. She wraps her arm around my waist and then settles.

I lift my arm that she's on, and place my hand on her shoulder. I lean my head over and place a soft kiss on her forehead then whisper, "I will never let anyone hurt you, and I will always protect you from your nightmares and memories."

Slowly darkness takes over me, but not before a pleasant thought comes to my mind. "I'm in love with this beautiful girl in my arms."