Chapter 02

"Why did you turn down the SOE job?" Bucky steps in quietly but sternly.

"It's just wasn't the plan that we had for our lives. How do you know it was SOE?" You question as you didn't mention where the job was.

"Cause I recommend you" he simply tells you and your overwhelmed with this gesture.

"Bucky" you sigh his name. "Well you should have told me" you scold your childhood friend.

"No, y/n I know you better than anyone else alive this isn't what you want" Bucky argues.

"What is it that you think I want?" You interrogate the brown haired man in front of you. Steve stood up, quietly excusing himself as he went to talk to your mother.

"The same thing you've wanted since you were a little girl, a life of adventure and to help people" he tells you, leaning forward to express his point.

"Well I've grown up my dreams have changed" you claim sternly, avoiding eye contact with the man beside you.

"No you've just let everyone else drown them out of you" he explains. "look, Charles is a nice enough guy but be honest, is he the love of your life?" Bucky pushes. "Is this really how you see your future?" He asks sincerely.

"This is my engagement party James!" You raise your voice to him, calling him by his first name.

"Not your wedding day, look there is still time to change your mind"

"I don't have to listen to this" you fume, standing up to leave.

"Don't worry what other people think" Bucky grabs ahold of your arm before you can leave. "You are meant to fight. Stop pretending to be someone that your not" You pull your arm out of his grasp forcefully. "y/n!" he calls after you. "y/n! come back!"

"So I take it things didn't go so well?" Steve returns to the table after you stormed past him.

"What does it look like?" Bucky angrily shouts to his friend in frustration.

"She'll come around Buck, she's smarter than that" Steve reassures him.

1942
"Mom, we can't have you weeping all through the ceremony" you tell her as she sniffles, looking at you in your wedding dress. You had tried on the dress just a few weeks before the wedding in your room with the help of your mother.

"Can I not cry when I'm happy? Where is my blasted handkerchief?" She asks as you step away to grab it from on top of your dresser. When you lift it up you notice the SOE letter sitting under it. "Oh dear let's get this dress off before I stain it" your mother laughs as you hug her, handing her the piece of cloth. "Oh I'll go and see who that is" your mom tells you after she looks outside of the window to find a man walking up to your house, late afternoon.

You stand in the mirror examining your dress for another moment until you hear a commotion outside

You stand in the mirror examining your dress for another moment until you hear a commotion outside. You step to the clear glass and see your mom and dad outside talking to a man in uniform.

"Bucky!" You cry, knowing that he was in uniform to go to war. Your cry was louder than you had wanted as the man you were worried about had looked up to see your distress at the news. You fell to your knees and sobbed as your worst fear had come true and one of your best friends was leaving you with a possibility of never coming back.

———————————
Question of the day: have you watched the show 'Agent Carter'?

———————————Question of the day: have you watched the show 'Agent Carter'?