Chapter 08

Italy, November 1943, five miles from the front

"How many of you are ready to help me sock old Adolf on the jaw?" Steve asked the large crowd of soldiers enthusiastically."Okay uh I need a volunteer" he starts after a moment of silence from the men below.

"I already volunteered! How do you think I got here?" A soldier shouted back

"I already volunteered! How do you think I got here?" A soldier shouted back. The crowd laughs at the soldiers comment as others shout out as well.

"Bring back the girls!"

"I think they only know the one song but um I'll see what I can do" your poor friend stuttered nervously. You had stood towards the back of the group, watching your friend being treated poorly by the men in front of him.

"You do that sweetheart!"

"Nice boots tinker bell!"

"Come on guys, we're all on the same team here" Steve tried to reason with them as they started to throw rotten food at him, which he used his shield to block. The girls run back into the stage and begin to sing again as Steve rushed off.

~~~

"Hello Steve" you walk over to your friend as he sits in the rain, drawing in his notebook , a few hours after the show.

"Hi" he smiles at you as you sit down and lean over to see his drawing of a monkey in his costume. "What are you doing here?"

"Officially, I'm not here at all

"Officially, I'm not here at all. That was quite a performance" you comment on the scene you watched unfold earlier in the day.

"Yeah I had to improvise a little bit the crowds I'm used to are usually a little more Um" he pauses to think. "Twelve" he finishes.

"I understand you're'America's new hope'" you laugh lightly at seeing your friend again and being able to joke around with the blond.

"Bond sales take a ten percent bump in every state I visit"

"Is that senator Brandt I hear?" you ask, raising a questioning brow.

"At least he's got me doing this, Philips would have had me stick in a lab" Steve sighs.