Chapter 54

"So, Mr. Barnes, are you still having nightmares?" Dr Raynor questioned the former winter soldier who sat on a crouch in front of a tree mural wall. "James, I asked you a question. Are you still having nightmares?" She repeats.

"No."

"We've been doing this long enough that I can tell when you're lying. Well, you seem a little off today. Did something happen recently?"

"No."

"You're a civilian now. With your history, the government needs to know that you're not gonna.." she trails off, acting out punching someone. He nods as she continues. "It's a condition of your pardon. So, tell me about your most recent nightmare."

"I didn't have a nightmare." Bucky tells her with a shrug. She breaths in deeply before pulling out the pen and starting to write on her notepad. "Oh, come on, Really? You're gonna do the notebook thing? Why? It's passive aggressive." He complains.

"You don't talk, I write

"You don't talk, I write." She tells him earning a sigh.

"Okay, Okay, I crossed a name off the list of my amends yesterday. Don't worry, I used all your three rules. Senator Atwood. She was a HYDRA pawn for years. Helped her get into office when I was the Winter Soldier" he explains the event to his therapist. "And after HYDRA disbanded, she continued to abuse the power I gave her." He continues, remembering how he put a device on her car to control it.

"So, rule number one, you can't do anything illegal." Raynor speaks up.

"All I did was give some intel to the aide to convict her. And I wasn't involved in anything else." The man claims.

"Rule number two?"

"What was rule number two?" He fakes deep thought

"Nobody gets hurt. It's a big one."

"Then why isn't it rule number one? I didn't hurt anybody, I promise" He tells her honestly.

"And what about rule number three? The whole point of making amends is to fulfill rule number three."

"You know, you're a cynic, Doc. Of course, I completed rule number three. I am no longer the Winter Soldier. I am James Bucky Barnes and you're part of my efforts to make amends." He repeats the lines to his doctor, ending with an awkward smile.