Chapter 53

Your heart ached at the memories as you walked past the Washington memorial where you and Steve would run laps and eventually where you met Sam. With a sigh you pulled your phone from your pocket and dialled your friend in need of a pep talk.

"Hey, how's it been?" Steve asks, answering the phone.

"It been good, how's space?" You lied to your friend, not knowing how to tell him that you broke your promise to him.

"It's keeping me busy but I'm definitely missing my friends" he chuckled lightly into the phone.

"Yeah" you sighed.

"Sam told me he was putting the shield in a museum" he tried to start up a conversation.

"Yeah I'm on my way there now" you told him with a saddened look on your features.

"You gonna be alright?" He questioned.

"Of course" you lied. "Well I gotta go, just wanted to check in quickly" you ended the call as you reached the Smithsonian.

"Steve represented the best in all of us. Courageous, righteous, hopeful. And he mastered posing stoically." Sam starts his speech, looking to the poster of your friend behind him as the crowd chuckles.

" Sam starts his speech, looking to the poster of your friend behind him as the crowd chuckles

"The world has been forever changed. A few months ago, billions of people reappeared after five years away, sending the world into turmoil. We need new heroes. Ones suited for the times we're in." He continues as you stood next to Rhode in the front of the crowd. "Symbols are nothing without the women and men that give them meaning. And this thing..." he picks up the shield from next to the podium.  "I don't know if there's ever been a greater symbol. But it's more about the man who propped it up, and he's gone. So, today we honor Steve's legacy. But also, we look to the future. So, thank you, Captain America. But this belongs to you." The crowd claps as you stay silent, watching as your best friends legacy was locked away in a box.

"Thanks again for coming forward with the shield, Sam. It was the right decision." A man shakes Sam's hand as you and Rhode stand next to him.

"Take a walk?" Rhode asked, nodding away from the busy lobby of the Smithsonian.

"Yeah, I've been at home. My sister and my nephews, man, when I left, they were babies. I come back and they're little men. It's crazy, you know?" The three of you start to walk through the captain America exhibit and look around.

"Yeah. Well, you should bring 'em out to D.C. sometime. I'll teach 'em how to fly. You know, I mean, the right way." Sam laughs at this comment but they continue on as you pause to look at the familiar wall with information on you, Steve and Bucky. Hanging your head low you move to catch up to the other two men in your life now.

"Crazy to think that nobody's gonna be carryin' the shield."

"Hey, we went for 70 years without anybody carryin' it when Steve was on ice. So, I think we'll be all right."