Chapter 66

"Ready to comply, winter soldier?" Zemo spoke in Russian.

"Is that the Winter Soldier?" A head turned in your direction at the words. You all kept walking until you entered a bar.

"Hello, gentlemen. Wasn't expecting you, Smiling Tiger." The bartender looked to you all as you stood close to Sam. Your role for the evening was his date, no matter how much you tried to refuse.

"His plans changed, we have business to do with Selby." Zemo speaks up, taking the lead.

"The usual?" Sam nods in response, a slight concern filing him as you feel him shift slightly.

"Ah. Smiling Tiger, your favourite." Zemo watched as the bartender cuts open a snake. You eyes widen slightly at the sight of Sam's drink. You feel bad for him but regain your composer as the drink is set in front of your 'date' for the evening.

"I love these." Sam claims, nervously picking up the glass.

"Cheers, Conrad." Zemo clinks his glass with Sam before they each take a shot, Sam hesitating as he does so.

"Mmm. Mmm." Sam gives the man a thumbs up as he tried to swallow the drink down.

"I got word from on high. You ain't welcome here." A man approached Zemo.

"I have no business with the Power Broker, but if he insists, he can either come and talk to me" Zemo signals over to Bucky standing a few feet away.

"New haircut?" Man asked Bucky as the winter soldier stared intensely at him.

"Or bring Selby for a chat."

"A power broker? Really?" Bucky speaks up for the first time after the man leave.

"Every kingdom needs its king. Let's just pray we stay under his radar."

"Do you know him?" Sam questions Zemo.

"Only by reputation. In Madripoor he is judge, jury, and executioner." Zemo tells you all. "Winter soldier" Zemo started in Russian again as a man stepped up behind him. "Attack" he finished, also in Russian. The man placed a rough hand on Zemo's shoulder and Bucky made his way forward, using the metal arm to pry the hand off. He walked the man backwards, still holding onto the hand and punched him in the face, knocking him flat on the floor. Another man jumped forward, only for Bucky to kick him back into another man after a series of dislocations. Zemo pushed a man towards Bucky who then beat him down, continuing to take down a large group of men as you and Sam watched. You held onto Sam's arm for comfort as you watched your worst nightmare play out once again.

"Didn't take much for him to fall back into form." Zemo whispers to you. Quickly turning your head, you shoot him a glare. Sam pulls you out of the way quickly and gently as Bucky throws a man into the bar, holding his neck in the grip of his metal arm. You gasped as guns were cocked and the room went silent, a sharp pain surging through your side as Sam's hand rested over your wound.