xv. the gods seem a little too interested in my love life

chapter fifteen

─── the gods seem a little too interested in my love life

          𝔅eing on the run as well as being on a suicidal quest on top of becoming the youngest ever person on the FBI's most wanted list was not fun though I suppose that was a good thing to add to my resume. We hadn't eaten since the night before last and we hadn't taken a shower either. I definitely smelt like a pig sty.

"Let's try to contact Chiron," Annabeth suggested. "We should tell him about your talk with the river spirit."

"We can't use phones."

"She's not talking about phones, Andi," Luke replied, leading us through the downtown area. It was dry and hot, even with the Rocky Mountains surrounding us.

Finally we found an empty do-it-yourself car wash. We veered toward the stall farthest from the street, keeping our eyes open for patrol cars. There were four of us who looked like we hadn't slept, and had no car to wash, so any cop should pick up on the fact that we were doing something suspicious.

"What exactly are we doing?" I asked, as Grover took out the spray gun.

"It's seventy-five cents," he grumbled. "I've only got two quarters left. Annabeth?"

"Don't look at me," she said. "The dining car wiped me out."

"Use this," Luke reappeared (I didn't even realise that he'd gone), a load of coins in his hand.

"How did you...?" He shook his head, as my jaw dropped.

"Excellent," Grover said. "We could do it with a spray bottle, of course, but the connection isn't as good, and my arm gets tired of pumping."

"What are you talking about?"

He fed in the quarters and set the knob to FINE MIST. "IM'ing."

"Instant messaging?"

"Iris-messaging," Annabeth corrected. "The rainbow goddess Iris carries messages for the gods. If you know how to ask, and she's not too busy, she'll do the same for half-bloods."

"You summon the goddess with a spray gun?"

"Don't look so surprised, Andi," Luke grinned, as Grover pointed the nozzle in the air and water hissed out in a thick white mist. "Just got to make a rainbow."

Sure enough, late afternoon light filtered through the vapor and broke into colours.

"Drachma, Andi?" Luke asked, holding his palm out.