Embarrassing

Alexander's POV

Jacob finally convinced me to take a break from watching over Cassidy. Normally, that would have been impossible, what with my werewolf instincts telling me to stay and guard our pack. But logic, combined with a very firm tone made me get up and shower.

To be fair, I was starting to smell a little and to enhanced senses, that's even worse. I didn't want to subject Cassidy to bad smells after all he had been through.

The bathtub was quickly filled and I got in, immersing myself completely inside for as long as I could. I let the heat sink into my tense muscles and pretended that everything was alright. That Cassidy was fine; that I hadn't failed him. I finally came up when my lungs began to burn for air. Sighing, I finished my bath, not wanting to stay away from Cassidy's side as much as possible.

I wrapped a bath robe around me as I dried my hair with a towel and walked into his room. I froze. The bed was empty, sheets rumpled and Cassidy missing. My heart went into overdrive.

The door broke in my haste to find Cassidy. A small voice at the back of my mind rationalised that Cassidy was probably just hungry like the physician said. Unfortunately, it was drowned by my wolf's urgent howl to find our mate now.

I raced through the halls until I heard voices coming from the dining room. One of them belonged to Cassidy. I rushed in. Every pair of eyes turned to look at me. I ignored them and sighed in relief at the sight of Cassidy. He was looking at me in confusion and curiosity as to why I would barge in with such a harried look on my face.

It seemed, now that we had found our mate, my wolf quieted leaving me very much aware of the many people looking at me like I'd gone mad. I flushed in embarrassment.

"I'm hungry?"