Day Date

Cassidy's POV

Over the next two weeks, I barely had the time to speak to Alex about everything I'd found out that day. In part, it was because I hadn't fully processed it myself. There was so much information from both Princess Seffrin and Queen Tasha, plus the unexpected encounter with King Olcan and Duke Kellen whose relationship was nothing like I'd imagined it to be.

By the time I was ready to discuss this with Alex, it was nearly two weeks later and I think he had been waiting very patiently for me to figure out my thoughts too. He was also kind enough not to bring up the incident where I dozed off during foreplay—at least not beyond a "tough day?" the next morning.

Honestly, all the thinking had me more lethargic than usual. I had to take naps sometimes.

~

Once again, Alex was planning another picnic date for us. He really liked those and I liked seeing him happy. Having spent quite a bit of time romping around the training grounds of Lupus with Colin during their bonding time, Alex had discovered some spaces which he deemed appropriately secluded and romantic. How could I say no to my eager husband?

"I've spent so much time with them," he told me, referring to the siblings. Even Seffrin had slightly warmed up to him and they sometimes played intensely quiet board games in the library. "I miss having alone time with you too."

His earnest eyes were endearing and entirely effective. I was helpless to deny him.

Also, even though it wasn't very nice to bring up the whole thing with Queen Tasha and Seffrin on a romantic getaway, it was the only time we would actually be alone and basically the best time to talk about it.

I went to bed early the night before the picnic, knowing that I would tire out easily and wanting to get more rest in advance. Alex just shrugged and joined me in bed anyway.

~

The next morning, Alex woke me up bright and early with his sweet kisses. I smiled sleepily into his shoulder and turned into the heat of his body. An hour later and we walked into a small clearing with a little pond. It was too small to play in, which was a pity, but it was still nice to sit beside and watch the tiny fishes darting between the aquatic flora.

Alex unpacked the basket while I laid out the blanket for us to sit on and we snuggled up in the early morning chill and ate tiny sandwiches for breakfast. My husband very proudly announced that he made them and left me blinking in surprise. I hadn't even realised he left my side.

"Here," he said, holding a tiny sandwich between his fingers. Alex smiled brightly as I ate directly from his hands. We fed each other, giggling like children when our tongues brushed skin until there were no more bite-sized morsels. I hid my smile at Alex's disappointment.

When he began eyeing the portion we'd set aside for lunch, I knew I had to distract him.

"Alex, come lie down in the shade and let me cuddle you," I said.

"Okay," he smiled agreeably and did as I asked.

I snuggled up by his side. "This is nice," I mumbled, turning my head to face him.

He grinned. "It's been a while since we had some alone time, hasn't it?"

That reminded me. It was true that we haven't had such private time to ourselves in weeks, not counting nights since those were in a den of wolves with supernatural hearing. The walls were thick, but we'd refrained from discussing anything too private just in case.

Now that we were alone, there truly was no better time to talk to him about Queen Tasha and Princess Seffrin.

"Alex," I paused and got up on an elbow. "There's something we need to discuss."

Alex hummed and rubbed a hand up my side. "What is it?" He looked curious.

I pressed a palm on his chest. "It's about Queen Tasha and Princess Seffrin."

He sat up. "What's bothering you, sweetheart?"

We faced each other cross-legged.

I bit my lip pensively. "Remember that day we met King Olcan?"

"Yes, of course." Alex watches me attentively.

"I went to get a snack and bumped into Queen Tasha and Princess Seffrin. Separately, but we talked and-" I stop abruptly.

"Cass?" Alex looks worried.

I shake my head reassuringly. "Sorry, just a moment," I say. "Need the toilet."

We looked around. I don't know what we expected to find. It was just trees and shrubbery all around.

"I'll just go behind a shrub," I say, my cheeks red. What awfully inconvenient time to need the toilet!

"You're so cute," Alex beams and busies himself with tidying up the remnants of breakfast.

I flush harder and scurry behind a bush to relieve myself.

When I come back, I tell him about the encounters with Queen Tasha and Princess Seffrin. He frowns at the part where Seffrin has a hard time with the council of Lupus.

"I'll talk to Seffrin," he resolves, "I'll tell her I want only to be a good brother." His own cheesy words pinken his cheeks.

"You are," I reassure. "Queen Tasha believes you are King Olcan's child too."

"She does?" Alex looks at me startled. "Is she mad?"

I shake my head. "Not in the slightest. She seemed more concerned with your intentions towards Lupus."

"I have none."

"I know, darling." I rolled my eyes fondly. "And then, I came back to the library to find you and King Olcan. What was that about?"

"Oh, that." Alex straightened and cocked his head consideringly. "That was strange, actually." I waited for him to continue. "King Olcan sort of, wandered in? He asked about my mother and then looked disappointed when I told him.

"And that whole bit with Duke Kellen was absurd, right?" he exclaimed.

I nodded in agreement. "How do you feel about this?" I asked. "The fact that you're almost definitely King Olcan's offspring."

Alex reached for my hands, thumb rubbing circles into my skin. "I—", he paused. "I don't know how or why King Olcan is my real father, but I accept it.

"Because it comes with Princess Seffrin, Colin and Timmeu and I don't think I could cut myself off from the family I've dreamed of having."

I found myself nodding again, this time in understanding.

With the hard part over, we were able to enjoy the rest of our day alone.

Alex and I almost started something out in the open, but I was honestly too lethargic from the sun and the food to properly get into it. Also, I never realised how often one needed the bathroom when there were none in sight.

At one point, Alex asked if I was using a new perfume. I smelled sweeter he told me.

"I haven't changed anything," I told him. He shrugged and continued sniffing me.

~

We went back a little before dinner time so there was time to wash up and take a short nap.

Despite feeling sleepy for most of the afternoon, I could hardly sleep. So, I slipped out of bed while Alex snored gently and snuck off to the library.

It was not without a purpose in mind that I had come here of all places. The changes in my body, while subtle, were no longer undeniable to me. I was tiring far easier than I used to, and I needed to use the toilet more frequently which had highlighted the change to me.

I wondered if I had been mildly affected by something I'd eaten here, but none of the medicinal archives had anything that matched my symptoms. In fact, the only condition that had seemed most likely was found in the midwives' handbook, which meant that it was completely unlikely. Because I was a man.

Eventually, I gave up searching. It was almost dinner and I'd left Alex alone much longer than I'd expected to. It was highly possible that I was simply not sleeping enough and drinking more water than usual.

It wasn't unmanageable anyway.