Captain Fawkes

Cassidy's POV

Our trunks were packed and ready for our departure. Father came to see us off, but their majesties didn't. Alex still wasn't speaking to either of them beyond civil conversation when necessary; meaning that he didn't talk to them at all.

Officially, we were going to Lupus on a diplomatic trip. Alex and I would be acting as ambassadors for the duration we were there to discuss renewals of the trade deals that Nasales had with Lupus. Unofficially, we were there to find the truth.

Alex had gone to King Edward and requested to be in charge of this deal. The King had only instructed him to be well prepared and granted him permission with a pat on the back. He didn't twitch, but I felt the anguish in my chest.

We didn't have a plan, but we were going to be there for at least a week. That might be enough time to find something.

I was worried though. Duke Kellen would be back in Lupus for the trade deals too. Frankly, neither Alex nor I liked him very much. The man seemed to know more than he let on and played his knowledge like a hand of cards. Alex gave me concerned looks when my worry bled through the bond, but I waved them off. I didn't dare share my preoccupations. He had enough on his mind, I didn't need to add to his burden.

We were travelling by ship. The trip would take a week on waters and was not the most ideal mode of travel, but certainly the fastest. Journeying on horseback would take an extra three weeks. Alex and I were too impatient for that.

Though by the first night on board, I was wondering if we should have just spent that extra three weeks on the road. Alex was painfully seasick.

It started out as a gently rocking boat at the port. Alex had been fine then, a little pale, but okay. Out on open waters was when trouble came. The waters were choppier, and it rocked the boat a little too hard for him to handle. An hour out at sea and he vomited over the sides.

I rubbed his back as he clutched weakly at the taffrail. "Oh, darling."

I brushed the hair out of his eyes. He coughed and whined sadly, his eyes teary.

"Here, sit for a bit." I grabbed the offered stool from a tall guard standing nearby. "Thanks," I said.

"You're welcome, your Highnesses."

Alex visibly perked up. "You!" he yelled hoarsely.

The smartly dressed man with a Captain's hat saluted.

Alex angrily pointed at him while I tried to figure out what he was upset about.

"You didn't come to my wedding!"

I didn't realise Alex was so close to his personal guards. "Alex, honey, I'm sure he has a good reason."

Alex slumped. "He does have a good reason."

The man grinned, his sandy blond hair ruffled in the ocean breeze. "I apologise, your Highnesses. I was stationed at the borders and unable to leave my post at the time. I offer my sincerest congratulations on your nuptials."

Alex sulked on his stool and turned around to give the man his back. I hastened to accept the well-wishes on our behalf. "Thank you," I replied. I glanced worriedly at Alex, who behaving rather childishly.

"Don't mind him, your Highness," said the guard. "He's always like this when there's someone to coddle him." My eyebrows raised. "Prince Alex has been that way since I first beat him in hand-to-hand combat."

"Oh," I wondered aloud, "How long have you known each other?" For this man to speak so familiarly about Alex, he must have known him for quite a while.