His Proposal

Cassidy's POV

I looked up from my food when the door banged open. Alex was standing there panting hard and staring straight at me. He exhaled and seemed to notice everyone else looking at him. His cheeks turned pink.

"I'm hungry?" He offered. He looked away and took the empty seat across me.

We were eating with the staff in the staff kitchen. Everyone averted their eyes and appeared to carry on their conversations when Alex sat down and began to pile his plate with food. We ate quietly.

"Alex," I murmured. He looked up with a pheasant leg halfway to his mouth. "You're naked."

He blinked and looked at himself. The pheasant leg was slowly placed back on his plate and I had the pleasure of watching the pink spread from his chest to his cheeks. He coughed. "Excuse me."

I couldn't fault the maids and several footmen from tittering and giggling. Hate to see him go, love to watch him leave indeed.

~

After the meal, Alex fully clothed this time, we strolled back to our room. Alex seemed to want to say something but every time he opened his mouth, he closed it again. By the time we got back to our room, Alex somewhat resembled a fish.

"Alright, spit it out." I said. He blinked at me.

"What?"

"You want to say something but you aren't, so just say it," I replied. "I promise not to judge." I added.

He gaped for a moment. "I'm sorry," he finally says.

I frowned. "What for?"

"For not getting to you in time. For failing to take care of you."

"Alex, what are you talking about?"

Alex bit his lip and looked away. "I should have been more alert. I let him get to you and I'm sorry. I failed you."

I nearly facepalmed myself. Of course he thought what happened was his fault. Too cute. It's just too adorable. I wanted to kiss him.

"Alex," I sighed, shaking my head which he took to mean disappointment and he looked away ashamedly.

"I'll leave if you want me to." He swallowed.

This again? How do I say this without laughing?

I coughed. "Please don't leave." His face brightened. "I'm sure there were things that both of us could have done better. But, " his eyes were full of mirth. "You should stick around to make sure something like that doesn't happen again."

"You are right. I'll never let you out of my sight again." He hummed mock seriously. "We will have to bathe, eat and sleep together as well."

"You better be joking." I gave him my best deadpan look, biting back my laughter. This guy was too cute.

His lips twitched. "Maybe."

I chuckled. "Good. Now come here and kiss me properly like you haven't done in years."

He rolled his eyes, but obliged. "It hasn't been that long."

"Feels like it to me. Sweetheart, you owe me and you have to pay your debt."

"Okay." He smiled and kissed me.

~

We spent the next few days of the festival participating in the carnivals and games together.

On our last night there, we went to a restaurant recommended to us by Jacob's wife. It was cosy and sweet and the food was good. We had a table outside, under the stars and the half moon. We talked and ate, enjoying each other's company. I watched as Alex took a bite of his fish, the light of the candle flame cast his features in a golden glow. I couldn't help remembering my thoughts days ago.