Accusations

Fawkes' POV

Despite their titles and positions of power, Queen Annabelle and Lord Winters had elected to walk behind me. Her majesty was mostly hidden beneath a thick, velvet cloak as she stepped in time with Lord Winters.

It was actually quite unnerving to be walking ahead, but the queen herself requested it and I obeyed. As a group, I rather thought we were a sight to see. Two men tied together, one limping with a cane. And a mysterious woman with a man who should have been leading the group.

Upon reaching the main hall, I called for an audience with King Olcan and Queen Tasha. Fortunately for all of us waiting, I was considered recognised personnel from Prince Alexander and Cassidy's retinue, and their majesties granted the request quite quickly. The Princes of Nasales were summoned too. And Duke Kellen joined them as a spectator since he had not technically been asked for. Exactly what I was counting on.

Cassidy looked in my direction as he stood beside Alex. I winked at him. He whispered to Alex, who gestured rudely but discreetly while Cassidy smothered his giggle.

"Your majesties," I called, "thank you for agreeing to see me on such short notice."

They nodded once in acknowledgement.

I continued. "I have come to complain," I declared. With everyone's attention on me now, I finished my declaration. "About treason against the royal family on Nasales."

"That is a serious matter you have brought up, Captain Fawkes. What exactly are you trying to tell us?" Queen Tasha asked gravely.

Matching her solemnity was no difficulty. "I have reason to believe that Lord Kellen Wolfe, Duke of Lupus, had masterminded an assassination attempt on Prince Consort Cassidy through an incubus attack in Edenis."

There is an audible gasp from Cassidy. I ignore it, my focus is on the duke.

"Where is your proof?" he demanded flatly.

I have none. "Due to certain circumstances, I have been unable to acquire the testimony of the incubus in question."

"Why not?" asked the queen.

"Because he is dead. Prince Alexander killed him in his mate's defence." I turned to Duke Kellen, who is watching me with hard eyes. "However, that is not all. When the attack in Edenis failed, a second attempt was made when the newlyweds were on their honeymoon in the Sirena Resort. Although Prince Consort Cassidy was once again the intended target, Prince Alexander was injured in his stead.

"Fortunately for us," I continued. "Prince Alexander did not kill their attacker in self-defence."

"I will not stand here and be met with baseless accusations," announced the duke.

"They are not baseless," I smiled. "This man, that I have brought before you, is the one who attacked their highnesses in Sirena. Lord Kellen, do you recognise this man?"

Rinidae cowered by my side. He didn't dare look up. I drew my sword, pushing his chin up with the flat surface of the blade.

"Prince Alexander, Prince Consort Cassidy, do you also recognise this man?" Without giving the Duke ample time to form his answer, I asked the Princes of Nasales instead.

Alex looked uncertain. "Captain Fawkes, not to undermine you, but we were attacked by a shark."

I nodded. "I am aware, your highness. Allow me to further explain."

With the sharp edge of my sword, I sliced off the pant leg of Rinidae's bad leg. Shock rippled across the room at the grotesque sight of an unnaturally deformed limb.

"Prince Alexander," I asked, "do you recall telling me that you clawed off the tailfin of your shark attacker?"

"Yes, I do."

The implication drew everyone's attention to the missing chunk of flesh on Rinidae's calf.

"It wasn't a cursed shark that attacked us," Cassidy said, his tone clear with that realisation. "It was a Shark Mer."

"May I request your assistance, your highness?" I called.

"Of course," said Prince Cassidy.

I sheathed my blade and pulled out a handkerchief instead. "Would you wipe his face, please?"

Cassidy started forward but stopped when Alex stepped ahead. "I'll do it," he said.

He took the cloth and scrubbed at the Mer's face. I watched on impassively.

Prince Alex stumbled back at the scars revealed. "I did that," he breathed. But in a room full of werewolves, he was crystal clear.

Rinidae shrunk impossibly smaller in the face of the Alpha werewolf he had wronged. And in his shocked anger, Alex had a hand at the Mer's throat.

"Who sent you?" he demanded, low and furious. "Answer me."

The scientist stared, frightened. Emerald eyes flashed, the hand tightened. Rinidae gasped. "D-duke Kellen," he stuttered.

Snarling, Alex reached for the duke instead. "How dare you," he roared. In his hands, Lord Kellen choked and gasped face reddening.

"That's enough," King Olcan ordered, his voice was a clap of thunder in a silent room. "We will deal with Kellen ourselves. Take him and the Mer to the tower."

Duke Kellen does not struggle as he is led away. He doesn't even look at anyone, choosing to stare straight ahead. We all watched him go.

Without a fight, the hall was unexpectedly ripe with tension even though their arrests were rather anti-climactic. Prince Alex thrummed with unreleased wrath and the sovereigns of Lupus appeared to have been betrayed by one of their own.

"Where are you taking them?" Alex demanded, unsatisfied with the proceedings.

Queen Tasha replied. "The Tower dungeons. It is surrounded by a deep moat and meant for dangerous wolves who may attempt to escape. We apologise for the inconvenience he has caused you and your mate," she said diplomatically.

Prince Alex looked ready to argue with the queen, but Cassidy takes his hand, and he quietens mutinously. I wondered what Prince Cassidy said.

Seeing as I had brought two other people with me, the queen diverted attention to them instead. "Are the other two people you have brought also witnesses?" she asked blandly.

"No, your majesty," I said as I stepped to the side. "This is Lord Winters, Prince Consort Cassidy's father. He has come to visit his son."

Lord Winters smiled at Prince Cassidy's delighted "father!"

"And the other?" asked Queen Tasha.

Queen Annabelle stepped forward, pulling her hood off. "Hello, Olcan."