First Edenis

Fawkes' POV

I am napping very lightly in my dusty room. The pain between my eyes twinged sharper with every movement so I tried not to make many.

Hardly any time had passed when there was a quietly confident knock on my door. Mentally, I sigh. I had not gotten much rest, but it seems I do not have the time for it. Suppressing my groan, I answered the door.

Queen Annabelle stands waiting on the other side. She holds out an envelope sealed with the royal crest. I accepted with both hands and a bow.

"I will depart immediately," is what I say. She nodded her acknowledgement. My disappointment is loud in my mind. "I'll finish packing my things."

The queen turns to go, and I close the door when she is no longer in view. My thumb runs over the indents of the wax on the envelope and an image of Lord Jacob flashes across my eyes. The throbbing in my temples alleviated slightly.

My pack sits in a corner, waiting for me. I tried not to stare too longingly at the bed.

In the end, I left quite quickly. The day was still light, and if I rode fast without stopping, I could get to Edenis before nightfall. With the letter tucked safely in my breast pocket, I did exactly that, urging my horse down the road leading to Edenis.

~

It is past supper by the time I arrived at Lord Jacob's front gates. I am exhausted and my muscles are sure to be sore tomorrow.

I pounded on the door and stepped back. Lord Jacob answered the door himself. He looked mildly annoyed. "Please refrain from making too much noise," he informs me. "You'll wake the baby. Who are you?"

My shoulders droop in weariness and guilt. "I apologise, my lord. It was not my intention to intrude, but I am on urgent business from Nasales."

Lord Jacob's eyes widened in surprise. "You had better come in," he says.

"Thank you, my lord." Obediently, I step into the light of the hallway.

"Dear boy," he exclaims. "How long have you been travelling? You must be famished."

I nodded sheepishly, hands fumbling for the letter in my fatigued state.

"Here, hand me that letter. I assume that's from her majesty." He led me to the kitchens. "The dinner table has been cleared but Cook will still feed you. And I'll show you to your room after you eat." He takes the letter from me.

My gratitude was acknowledged with a pat to the back. The Cook, a skinny old man with kind features, placed a platter of food before me. Lord Jacob took his seat across me and read the missive.

He hums as he read it, but I was too busy shovelling food into my mouth to watch him too carefully. Very kindly, Lord Jacob did not start a conversation until I had eaten and drank my fill. He waited until I sat back with a sigh before coughing politely to gather my attention.

"How do I address you?" he inquired politely.

I flushed in embarrassment. I'd completely forgotten to introduce myself earlier, so I stand and salute him. "Garrison Fawkes, Captain of the Second Guard of Nasales, sir."

He smiles. "At ease, Captain."

I drop my salute and sit when he gestures for me to do so.

"Jacob Bien," he introduced himself as. "Thank you for coming all this way in such a hurry."

"It is my duty," I replied deferentially.

"One should never take for granted those in service," he said.

I nod once in acknowledgement. "Thank you, sir."

He smiles wanly. "Now, Captain, are you aware of the contents that you have ferried to me?"

"I have not read it, my lord. But her majesty did inform me she would ask for your cooperation with my business here."

"And what is your business in Edenis, Captain?"

I meet his eyes. "I'm conducting an inquiry into the incubus incident from six moons ago. I ask for your full cooperation with my investigation, sir."

"I see." Lord Jacob nodded. "And what is it you need my cooperation with?"

"Any findings you have on the incubus community, witnesses from that night, anything that could relate to the case," I answer.

"Very well," he says. "I trust you to find the truth. But for now, you will sleep, and I will hand over any information I have tomorrow morning when you no longer look ready to collapse."

My initial irritation at being delayed drains away as the drowsiness settles in. I nodded my agreement instead and let him take me to my room instead. "Thank you," I muttered. It is likely that my words were slurred, but Lord Jacob made no comment and left me to my nightly ablutions.

A cursory wash with a basin of warm water later and boots dropped in a haphazard pile by the bed, I fall into bed and into a deep sleep almost immediately.

~

I am called to consciousness by a loud knock on my door the next morning. It was the maid. She informed me that Lord Jacob was waiting for me at the Breakfast table. I made my way down quite quickly after that.

Lord Jacob was seated at the side, unusual for the head of the household, but he was also feeding a baby. The baby had wispy blonde hair and food smeared all over her chubby cheeks. Her father pushed mush into her tiny mouth very patiently even though half of it kept falling out.

"Good morning, my Lord," I greeted.

"Ah, Captain Fawkes," he called out. "Help yourself to breakfast."

I nodded and did as he said. I was still rather famished even though I'd eaten last night. All the travelling and chronic head pains had taken a toll. Unfortunately, the pains couldn't be helped. They came and went and I'd long since learnt to suppress my reactions to the especially sudden flashes.

But my head had been ache-free since I woke up and the temporary reprieve gave way to hunger. I ate my fill, attention half on my food and half on the eating baby across me. She was very messy but so cute.

"Come to my study after you have eaten." Lord Jacob left with a smile and his daughter in his arms.

Though I knew there was work to be done, I couldn't bring myself to rush now that I was here and my head wasn't currently in danger of splitting. I let myself eat without gobbling.

The maid from this morning pointed me to Lord Jacob's study and I thanked her with a smile, winking when she blushed and looked away. I knocked on the door and entered with his verbal permission.

"Sandy has taken the liberty of organising my desk, so here is a neat folder of the documents you requested." He smiled fondly at the file. "It contains incubus records and the licenses of establishments that permit incubus feedings. I thought you might want to check those places."

That was helpful. I wouldn't have to go door-to-door or break in anywhere if the Lord of Edenis was giving me express permission to go everywhere. "Thank you, sir. You have been most helpful."

He smiled. "I am also fond of the Prince and his husband," he said. As I exited the room, he stopped me with a quiet "ah" of realisation.

I turned back questioningly.

"Sandy also thought you might need a space to work, so she had the library set up for you. It won't be as big as the one in Nasales, of course. But it will suffice."

Lady Sandy was incredibly thoughtful. I made a mental note to thank her when I met her.