Brothers

Duke Kellen's POV

I threw my jacket on my desk. Coercion was such a pesky business and I preferred not to if I could avoid it. Unfortunately, it never was. That little scientist always stunk of fear, but he'd do as I told him. I had something he wanted.

A knock sounded, quiet against the heaviness of my door. "Enter," I said.

My assistant came in. She held a slip of paper which I took from her. 'Princes set sail for Lupus' it said. I threw it in the fireplace.

I handed her a satchel of herbs which she quietly brewed a pot of tea with. "Thank you," I cracked a small smile at her. "Remind me to give you some time off," I murmured. "You must miss your family."

She inclined her head in thanks and left when I dismissed her.

The doors shut firmly behind her and I removed another slip of paper from my sleeve. This one said, 'Portrait delivered'. It joined the other in the flames, crumbling into ash.

I took the tray of tea to see my brother, taking care not to bump into anyone. In his absence, I'd become busier, having to take on part of his duties. Still, it was the lesser evil.

Ollie was seated up in bed when I arrived. But he was asleep, some papers scattered on his blankets. He looked tired but healthier than the last time I had seen him. Sighing, I set the tray down and cleared the mess into a neat stack at the side.

"Brother," I called out. He didn't stir. I touched his shoulder and tried again. "Brother, wake up." Ollie blinked awake.

"Kellen," he said, voice raspy from disuse. "You're back."

I nodded. "I am, brother." I sat in the chair by his bed. "You have not been resting."

Ollie scowled. "Yes, I have," he said sulkily.

I raised an eyebrow and gestured at the documents I'd neatened. "Don't sulk. It's unbecoming of an alpha."

"Whatever," he muttered.

He wrinkled his nose when I poured the tea. I held out the cup. "Take the cup, Olcan."

"I'm the Alpha and I don't want to drink it."

I sighed. He was always so childish. No one expected him to become the Alpha of Lupus, least of all me. Ollie was still my baby brother and nothing he said could stop me from being the older sibling. "Drink it, or I'll tell on you."

He chortled, his laugh turning into a wet cough. I rubbed his back. "Who are you going to tell?" he choked out. "I'm the Alpha."

I held out the cup once more. "Your wife." He stopped laughing.

Ollie took the cup and downed it, grimacing. "Snitch," he grumbled.

I laughed. "Take a nap after I leave. I'll be taking these documents with me." I side-eyed him. "I'm sure you've done enough work today."

My brother rolled his eyes. "Update me and we have a deal."

"Prince Alex and Prince Consort Cassidy are on their way to Lupus," I told him. "They will be here for renewal of the trade deals on seasonal produce and meat imports."

"Prince Alex..." Ollie said thoughtfully. "He's the werewolf born to human parents?"

I nodded my confirmation.

"I've met him once when he was very small," Ollie continued. "I haven't seen Edward and Annabeth in so many years," he murmured.

I frowned. The sickness had gotten to his head. "You mean Queen Annabelle, not Annabeth."

"Yes, yes," he rubbed his chin. "That's what I meant."

I shook my head. "I should go, Olcan. I have work and you obviously need to rest more."

"If you and those blasted healers could see that I am perfectly fine," Ollie grumbled, looking ready to climb out of bed. "You'd be less busy if you let me do my job."

I glared at him. "Finish the tea and go to sleep." He glanced at the documents and I tucked them securely under an arm, scowling. "I'd be less busy if you recovered."

Ollie glared mutinously but stayed put.

I stopped at his door. "Finish the tea," I reminded him and left with one last withering glance at the face he pulled.

~

Back in my study, I rearranged my work piles and looked at the papers Ollie had been studying. It was a research publication from Thasea about using spells and potions to alter one's lineage. I filed that aside for later.

My assistant appeared at the door once more. "The Prince and Prince Consort of Nasales will arrive tomorrow," she said.

"Very good," I handed her a list. "You know what to do."

With Olcan incapable of doing his job, his duties had been split between me, Queen Tasha and the pack elders. Princess Seffrin had insisted on being given minor tasks, but I didn't hold out much hope on her capabilities. She simply hadn't the senses to do them well. And far too emotional about everything. Queen Tasha was too soft on her.

Princess Seffrin should not have involved herself, but I had no say over the matter. Regardless, Alex and Cassidy would arrive tomorrow, and all the pieces would soon fall into place.