Communication is Key

Cassidy's POV

The ride home was tensed and silent. I didn't like it. It felt wrong. But I didn't know what to say. Alex was disappointed in me.

"I-" Alex looked at me expectantly. "I'm sorry." His eyes shuttered and all traces of emotions left his face. I felt terrible. "I can't say it. Not yet, " I trailed off, shaking my head.

"I didn't expect you to say it back."

I looked up, surprised. "But-"

He sighed, "No. I never expected you to say it back. At least not this soon." Alex glanced at me. "The wolf inside is a huge part of me. But its emotions are simple and intense. I know you don't feel it, but my wolf sees you as his mate and that makes me feel this overwhelming need for you.

"I do think I love you though. I know it's a lot to process. Please, tell me if I'm too much to handle or too clingy. And if you don't want this anymore, " He swallowed. "Just call off the arrangement."

I gaped at him. "Would you actually be okay with that?"

"No." Alex swiped at his eyes. "I won't trap you in a loveless marriage." He laughed bitterly.

I understood now. It was a misunderstanding and I had to fix it because try as I might, I could no longer imagine life without Alex.

I reached out and touched his cheek. "Okay." I smiled. "Thank you for telling me."

He looked at me. There was a glimmer of hope in his green eyes. I squeezed his hand.

Alex nodded. "What happens now?"

"We take it slow, " I replied. "We spend time together, we also spend some time apart and we get to know each other. And at the end of a year, we decide."

"Okay." He opened the carriage door for me. "Will I see you later?"

I smiled. "Yeah. Come for dinner?"

"Okay."

We shared a kiss before I waved goodbye and entered my house.

~

Over the next few weeks, we spent time together. Mostly in the evening though, since we both had our duties as the crown prince and a lord's son. Sometimes we shared a bed, either at the castle at in the manor. But we tried not to do that too often though. It was agreed that "taking things slow" meant less bed-sharing activities.

We went on dates and got to know each other better. I found out that Alex pouted adorably when he wanted something, his favourite colour was blue because my eyes were blue (I swooned a little at that) and he liked it when someone rubbed his tummy. (Turns out, he had a bad case of stomach flu when he was younger, before werewolf healing kicked in. Poor Alex.)

In turn, he learnt about my odd fascination for random trinkets and my love for furry animals. We also spent so much time discussing random facts and trying to solve puzzles we found in the library.

Other than the occasional kiss and cuddling, we didn't try to go further than that again. I won't deny taking myself in hand though. The intimacy of our relationship deepened in other ways. It's okay, I already knew we are compatible in bed.

~

Alex and I had planned to go to a festival in the next town. The first night of the festival was a masquerade party and I didn't want to miss it. The town was about half a day's ride away so we had to leave in the morning. Our lodgings had been taken care of by a good friend of father's, Lord Jacob. We would stay at his manor while we were there.

We left early, at dawn, not without grumbling from Alex though. He's so cute when he tries to hide under the covers. One of the things I learnt from him was that werewolves ran hot and were therefore more sensitive to the cold.

The ride was fairly peaceful and we chatted amicably. Soon, it was noon and we had a couple hours more on the road before we arrived at our destination, but we decided to stop for a bit at a pub for lunch.

A busty waitress came to collect our orders as we sat in the booth at the corner.

"Hi! What can I get you?" She asked, looking straight at Alex.

"Can I get a Pub's recommendation and some water please?" I asked.

"How about a slice of shepherd pie and a treat for you, honey?" She said, ignoring me and winking at Alex.

I gasped mentally. This woman!

"No, thank you. I'll just have a steak, medium rare and a water please." Alex's voice brought me back to earth.

"Sure thing, handsome." She said, smiling flirtatiously at Alex. The audacity!

I glared at her as she walked away. The amount of hip swaying was absolutely uncalled for.

"Cass, why do you look like you want to murder someone?"

"What? I do not!"

"Yeah you do," he said, nodding. Then his eyes widened. "Were you jealous?"

"You wish!" I cried.

He just smirked. I opened my mouth to retort but the waitress came back. She deliberately bent over when she placed our plates down, pushing her breasts into Alex's face. Alex looked a little strained. Hah! Wait till she realises that he doesn't like girls like that, I think. She slid a piece of paper into his hands and strutted away. I glared holes in the back of her head.

Meet me at the back it said, with a little heart drawn at the end.

"Are you going?" I asked, trying for casual and probably failing.

Alex looked at me as if I'd gone mad. "Of course not! Don't be ridiculous, we are literally on a date right now. Why would you even say that?" Then he smiled brightly, "Besides, I have you. I'm happy as long as you are."

I melted a little at those words. He is the sweetest.

Two and a half hours later, we were finally at the gates of Edenis. Lord Jacob was waiting at the gates for us.

"Welcome to Edenis, gentlemen. I trust you had a safe journey?"

"Of course, thank you Lord Jacob." I answered, smiling.

"Oh, just Jacob is fine."

I thanked him for accommodating us and Alex handed him a bottle of wine from the royal brewery.

Jacob was a handsome man in his thirties and quite recently married, we'd found out.

"I heard you've recently just married?" I heard Alex ask.

"Indeed I have. My wife and I are expecting a baby soon," he told us, love and happiness shining in his eyes. "Now if you gentlemen don't mind, I'd like to get back home to my wife. She's just about ready to pop any time. I don't want to accidentally miss it, you know?"

"Of course Jacob. Let's hurry." Alex smoothly agreed.