Recollection

Alexander's POV

"Cassidy and I made a trip to Edenis before our wedding. There was a festival. And a masquerade party," I recounted to Fawkes. He listened attentively. "Cassidy and I went for the masquerade. We were dancing and we got thirsty, so I went to get us some ale."

"I'd only left his side for a few moments, but when I returned, he was gone." I pick at my nails. "There was the scent of an incubus around—they smell like sex, you know—and I got worried."

Fawkes nodded for me to continue. I swallow and do as he prompted. "I followed the trail of sex to this dark corner, an alley where the festival hadn't managed to brighten. He was there, standing over Cassidy. And I could smell it. I could taste his distress in the air. I-" I'm shaking. Something I only notice when Fawkes puts a hand over my trembling fingers.

"Water?" he offers. I accept and gulp down half the glass.

"Listen," I say quietly. "I'm not completely certain of what happened next."

He nods. "What do you remember happening then?"

"I'm not sure," I shake my head. "I was scared and I think my wolf might have taken over. There are some vague flashes of teeth and claws and the next thing I know, there's blood on me and Cassidy is unconscious in my arms."

"Who knows about this?" Fawkes asks.

I close my eyes, frowning to remember. "Lord Jacob and his wife were there. They sent for the healer when I brought Cass back to their home." My hands fiddle with the glass I'm holding, sloshing the water around. "Before we came to Lupus, my parents found out."

Fawkes frowns at me. "What do you mean your parents found out?" His voice is sharp.

"We didn't tell them," I reply. "We didn't think much about it. Cassidy was sure it was an accident."

"I see," he says.

"There's another thing I need to tell you." He glanced at me when I hesitate.

"Just say it," he rolls his eyes.

"Cassidy and I came here because we have reason to believe that King Olcan is my real father."

There is silence for a while. Curious, I turn to him.

He's suffocating himself with a pillow. Alarmed, I rip it away from him, feathers bursting from the seams. He's laughing. I scowl.

"You never fail to amuse me, my Prince," he says, giggling.

Annoyed, I snap at him. "I'm glad someone is happy."

"Alright," he says. "And have you confirmed it yet?"

"Yes," I say immediately. "No. I don't know."

He blinks. "Which is it?"

I winced. "It's sort of confirmed that I am? But King Olcan hasn't said it himself."

"I see." Fawkes' brows are raised. "Does this have anything to do with the incubus in Edenis?"

Shrugging was easy. In truth, I hadn't really thought about it, too preoccupied with other things. But it did seem incredibly coincidental that the incubus had come before I had reason to show up in Lupus. And today's succubus had called us "an easy target".

"There's some connection," I say. "I'm sure there is. Cassidy has been targeted both times, but what if I'm the real target and he happened to be in the way?"

I can see Fawkes studying me very solemnly. He nods in agreement. "What other things have happened since the incubus attack?" he questions. "Tell me, no matter how minor you thought it was."

There is one other incident that jumps out at me the more I think about it, so I tell him.

"The honeymoon Cassidy and I had was spent in an underwater resort, quite close to Atlantis."

"I know the one," he confirms. "Go on."

"We were attacked by a shark," I rush out.

He sighs. "Yes. I'd heard about that. Which brings me to my next question." Fawkes scent holds the distinct sourness of annoyance. "Why didn't you tell me? Don't tell me you thought that was an accident too!" his voice grows loud with anger.

I shush him. Cassidy is still resting. "Everyone agreed it was an accident!" I whisper-yell back.

Fawkes gestures rudely at me. I ignore him. "You got injured, right?"

"Don't you already know?" I fire back snidely.

"No, I don't. Because you don't tell your closest friend anything."

"Whatever," I say. "I was bitten on my shoulder." Thinking about it made me wince. "Cassidy had to reset my bones."

Fawkes is suddenly serious again. "So, there was blood drawn." He studies me urgently. "Were there any other incidents where you lost blood?"

I shrug uncertainly.

He grips my shoulder tightly. "Think, Alex. Anything at all?"

One never realises how often blood is drawn because they tend to ignore the minor things like scratches from a particularly sharp branch or tiny insect bites and things like that. So, I am doubtful that there is anything more. Still, I wrack my brains, trying to sort through every scratch and bite I've dealt with.

"Do you remember when we stopped in Atlantis?" I ask him.

"Of course."

"But you weren't there when Cassidy and I were touring the laboratories."

My friend made a wistful look at me. I pat his arm.

"Yes, I know." I continue. "The scientist who gave the tour dropped some glass and hurt himself. I helped him clean it up, but he accidentally scratched me too."

"Are you sure that was an accident?" he asked dryly.

I nodded. "He was shocked by our visit, which is why he dropped the glass," I tell him.

"Fine," Fawkes was still sceptical but took note anyway. "I'll look into this." He gets up. "Get some rest and keep anyone you don't trust away from yourselves. Stay safe, my friend."

I pull him into another hug before he leaves, his familiar scent washes over me and I let myself be grateful that Fawkes is on my side. "It's good to see you," I say.

He smiles and leaves me alone with my sleeping mate and my quieter thoughts.