61.

When the sunset, those servants that worked during the day retired into their chambers. The first night she slept there, Amara observed how exhaustion overpowered their need to gossip.

When they fell asleep, she began her search for Damien. 

She cast a sleeping spell around herself. Those who looked at her would immediately fall asleep.

For three nights, she searched the Demon Castle. She walked the nights like a ghost, quietly, in search of something that would bring her peace. Often, she wondered if she should have bargained with Emery. The maid had not brought it up but Amara had noticed that she had become distant.

On the fourth night, Mrs Lira summoned her. Amara noticed some envious gazes cast her way but she couldn't care less. She had other things to worry about. 

What if the Head of Household had realized her motives!

That wasn't possible. Amara's sleeping spell was quite effective. She had watched many servants and warriors collapse on the spot, snoring heavily when they gazed at her. Their sleep would be so deep that they could hardly remember her.

As she entered Mrs Lira's chamber, she felt a little nervous.

The giant demon was sitting on her desk, scribbling something on a white paper with a quill. It was in demon script so Amara was unable to understand it. There were two trays of food sitting on the table- one of which was half-eaten. 

'You cannot speak and I believe that you can't read either but I've heard some rumours that you're very effective in your work,'  Mrs Lira stated. 'I am very impressed. If you wouldn't have been so impaired, I would have promoted you.'

Amara was glad her disguise was ugly. She pretended to be upset. She lowered her head and wrung her fingers.

'However, since you're not a blabbermouth and you can't ever be one,' Mrs Lira continued, 'I have the perfect job for you.' She pushed a pouch full of gold coins toward Amara. 'There you go, Noraelena. Do you accept it?'

Amara was confused. Many tasks required secrecy but she couldn't understand what the demon had in mind.

'I understand your hesitation. You see, there is this prisoner who has just woken up. Until the Queen awakens and gives her orders, it is our duty to keep him alive. I am entrusting that task to you.'

The giant demoness got to her feet. Crumbs rolled down from her massive form. Those that were stuck to her dress were brushed away by her heavy hands. 'Get that tray and follow me,' she commanded. 

Amara reached for her half-eaten one.

'Not that one, you foolish girl,' the demoness chided. 'The other one!'

Quickly, Amara complied and followed her. 

She was curious but also scared. Now and then, she glanced around suspiciously. Something was bothering her but whenever she tried to decipher the weird sensation in her gut, she failed. Her magic was alert and ready to attack. It was getting unruly and hard to contain. She could see the green tendrils float around her as she walked behind Mrs Lira. 

The demoness was too occupied with the food that was stuck in between in teeth to notice the strange aura that floated around Amara. 

Mrs Lira was using one of the secret tunnels that Raphael had outlined in the map he had given to her. 

After some time, the darkness parted and revealed a long corridor. Most of the doors had giant locks hanging from the latches. 

'Make sure you remember the way,' Mrs Lira broke the silence. 'I'm not going to come here with you all the time.' 

From the dark hole that was concealed by a thick and heavy red curtain, Amara counted the number of locked doors they passed. There were a few warriors that stood and passively watched them as they walked through the corridor. 

After the thirteenth one, Mrs Lira halted. From the folds of her gown, she produced a large key. She handed it to the warrior who was standing before the door. 'Open it.'

The warrior complied. In one swift movement, he unlocked the door and pushed it open. 

Amara felt sick again as the red aura engulfed her again. As soon as it hit her, her vision doubled and she almost lost her footing. However, the rattling of the tray in her hands reminded her of her purpose. 

Whoever was inside had survived the big explosion in the castle that is why such a strong poisonous aura emanated from him. 

The chamber was large. It was not as dark as Amara had expected it to be. There was a large balcony but it was caged. Strong metal bars were welded across the open space. The fireplace was on the far right corner and did little to heat the chamber. 

There was a figure lying on the bed. He was covered by a thick satin blanket and his chest rose and fell rhythmically. 

The warrior walked right up to him. 'Hey! Wake up! Your dinner is here.' 

The man's eyes opened instantly. Groggily, he sat up pushing the blanket from over him. 

Amara almost gasped when she recognized who it was. 

Pale blue eyes tore through her soul. She stumbled away. Her breathing became ragged and heavy. 

She had not prepared herself for this! 

Mrs Lira grabbed her shoulders, 'I know he's hideous but he won't harm you.' 

Those words fell on deaf ears. Amara clutched the tray so tight that her knuckles became white. Her chest felt constricted and there was too little air to breathe. 

She had found him.